There are several reasons why a QR code or account key can return as invalid. Here are a few possible reasons and possible solutions.
Here are the main issues that can cause an account key or QR code to return as invalid:
- The QR code was meant for a different mSecure account.
- The QR code is an older QR code created before changing your account password
- The QR code is your original code after going through a password reset.
For the first issue, please make sure that you are using the proper mSecure account associated with your account key and QR code.
mSecure will create a new QR code whenever you change your account password and send you a new authentication email labeled: mSecure Account QR Code – Your Password Was Changed. Please make sure to use this new QR Code and authentication email instead. You can always re-send yourself the authentication email from the device you changed your account password from.
If you have gone through an account reset, you’ll have to make sure to reinstall mSecure and(or) remove the mSecure.mscb database file if you are using mSecure for Mac so that you can fully sign out and back into to your mSecure account. This will allow mSecure to create a new account key and send out a new authentication email for you to use.
If you have gone through an account reset and our having authentication or syncing issues, we advise you to create a backup for mSecure and go through an account reset again. This time, please follow the uninstall/remove instructions. After the reset and uninstall/removal, restore from the backup file you created.
If this doesn’t solve your issue:
- If you have access to your mSecure account in mSecure (you are signed in to your account on a device)
- Remove all previous Authentication emails
- Resend yourself the authentication email from within mSecure's settings
- If you do not have access to your mSecure account in mSecure and do not have an authentication email or a working authentication email, you will, unfortunately, have to go through an account reset to reset your account and allow mSecure to create a new account key and send out a new authentication email.
Did you find it helpful?