Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

IOS 14.5 requires update

mSecure has to be updated in order to work with IOS 14.5. SO do NOT install 14.5 as long as the app. is not updated. If it is not fixed  within a few days I will stop using this app. It  is too essential and should work all the time.

39 people have this problem

Hi Everyone,

We learned yesterday that some of our customers are running into an issue with the iOS 14.5 update. Unfortunately, we're not sure why this is affecting some people and not others. All of our test devices are running mSecure 4.5.4 without any issues after the update, so the problem is not as straightforward as it may seem from the error message.

We only have a couple of different options here. First, since mSecure 4 is no longer supported, there won't be any updates to that app. It's possible, however, that simply reinstalling the app would take care of the issue. The problem here is, in the older version of mSecure, it is not syncing to any type of cloud server by default, so you would need to have a backup of your data in order to thy this solution. In mSecure 4, when the app is deleted, all of the data is deleted with it, so if you don't have a backup, please do not attempt to do this.

The second option is to upgrade to mSecure 5. While we have confirmed that mSecure 4 still works in iOS 14.5, we're getting more and more reports of the error message you guys are receiving with each iOS update. We are pretty sure that at some point in time in the near future, v4 will just stop working for everyone. Since that version is no longer supported, an update to v5 will be the only option for gaining access to your information. When upgrading to v5, you have the option to migrate your information from the older version of the app, so even if that older version isn't opening, you will still be able to migrate the data into v5.

In order to upgrade, you can simply download mSecure 5 from any App Store (iOS, Mac, Play, Microsoft), then sign up for a new account. When you go through the signup process, you will get an option to migrate your information. Answer to perform the migration, and that's it. Your data will be migrated in from v4, and you'll be all set.

One thing to note is that many customers set up an mSecure 5 account in the past, so when they go to create a new account, mSecure tells them the username is already taken. Then they try to sign in to that account instead, the password isn't accepted. In that case, the best thing to do is simply reset your account from our website using the instructions found in the "How to reset your mSecure account" section of this article: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/articles/36000064228-account-reset

After resetting your account, you will be able to sign in to the account in mSecure 5 and perform the migration of your data from v4. 

Do be aware that the full version of v5 has a 30 day trial, and after that, a Pro license is required to continue using all of the features like syncing, backup/restore, etc.

I also cannot open the app due to update of phone to 14.5. I am in a bit of a panic as I have my whole life on this app with passwords of everything and information.  Please let us know if you are going to update MSecure or not.  

I have had MSecure (paid version) since 2008.  You mean I have to pay for the new update to 5, when it wasn't done automatically by your company?

I also had MSecure, the paid version, since 2009. A complete new purchase without discont to the new update to V5 is not very customer-friendly if it is not carried out automatically by the company.

@Kathy and @Gerald,

Unfortunately, we're still not sure what is causing the error message customers are seeing. We are not experiencing the problem on our own devices, so something is causing the problem for which we cannot find any documentation. The only thing we know for sure is that regardless of whether you can open mSecure 4 or not, you can migrate you information using the instructions in my previous post.

For clarification on the status of mSecure 4, that app was updated a few times after mSecure 5 was released, but it has not been officially supported for at two years now. When we created mSecure 5, it was the first time in the history of the company that we charged for the upgrade, so since the v5 was an entirely different app in the store, it gave our customers the option to continue using the older app without having to purchase an upgrade. Had v5 been installed over the top, then once the upgrade installed over v4, there would have been no way to use mSecure any longer unless you decided to pay for the upgrade, and we didn't want that for our customers.

Regarding a discount for customers, when mSecure 5 was first released, we had a pre-order period where we gave our existing v4 customers the opportunity to purchase the app for just $9.99, which is 66% off the normal price. After the release, we had a long period where we would still sell it to 50% off the normal price to existing customers. Now, we regularly send out emails to our customer base that offers the upgrade for 33% off. Right now, we are currently running a sale where mSecure is 33% off, so it is discounted now should you want to upgrade. It's also possible for us to get you a 50% off discount, so you if you would like to take advantage of that, please let me know.

Just to report and follow-up to my post from yesterday:   I was a long-time mSecure v4 customer that never upgraded to v5.  My v4 stopped working on Monday right after my iPad Air 2 updated to iPadOS 14.5 with the error message I wrote in my earlier reply here.

The good news is that downloading and installing v5 from the App Store, it recognized my existing v4 data and offered to migrate & import it, which worked successfully. Got my passwords back.

So here's what else I've learned. Everyone gets a free 30-day trial. This should give you time to figure out if it's worth USD$20 to keep using the Pro features, if you're fine just using the free version after the 30-day trial period ends, or if you want to start moving your data into an entirely different password manager app. Regardless, upgrading to v5 is an immediate way to get your passwords back and there's plenty of time to figure out how to move forward or get your data out if you need.

Software gets old, needs ongoing support, and i understand software is retired all the time.  So far v5 feels very familiar to v4, which I like.  I got many, many good years out of v4 and feel the current price is a bargain to have a newer/updated/maintained version.

I would certainly like to take advantage of any discount you have available.  I have to say, though, having not gotten any emails from MSecure that there was another version available nor that ver 4 was no longer supported, I probably would have dl and installed 5 long before this.  Version 4 has worked seamlessly all these years and I never had the reason to go to support.

Please advise as to what you need from me for the discount.

Thank you

kk

Mike at MSecure - I have a BIG problem, I don’t know my password for version 4, been using facial recognition for the past couple years. How can I import Version4 to 5?
Thank you Mike and Michael for the clear instructions on how to install v5. This worked perfectly for me and I’ve now got my data back and I have 30 days to decide what to do in the future. I did have my old v4 password - I’m not sure what I could do if I did not have that.

MSECURE  V4 WILL NOT WORK ON IPHONE 6S WITH IOS 14.5

Will there be a fix to access msecure version 4 with an iphone 6?  

Is it simple or even pratical for me to return to the previous IOS version allowing me to retrieve the msceure v4 data?

I am the customer using an older version of msecure since 2011 and never upgraded.  I did not sync my devices  with my laptop.    I upgraded my iphone 6s to IOS 14.5 when the IOS was released this week.  After the upgrade I could no longer access the msecure v 4.  Fortunally I did have a back up that was about two months old, but missing current information from the iphone with IOS 14.5.  

I have since upgraded to version 5 on all devices.  The new version is much improved especially the displays syncing and synching with the msecure cloud.  It is my intention to purchase all features and give msecure 5 a five star rating.

@Michael Thank you for your post on how you fixed the issue moving to v5! What you described is the exact process we hoped for when v4 stopped working. The most unfortunate thing is there is no way to know when exactly that will happen, as we actually thought that version wouldn't last as long as it has. What we're dealing with here is the consequence of not forcing our customers to update, but we decided this type of issue was better than forcing our customer's down a certain path.

@Kathy If you contact our support team via email at support@msevensoftware.com, they can help you through the discount process. The best path forward now, however, is to simply download mSecure 5 and create a new account as @Michael described above. That way, you will have immediate access to your data, then you can make the purchase from our website at a discount.

Also, if you are running v4.5.4, you should have been seeing a message periodically upon opening the app that mSecure 5 was available with brief instructions on how to get it. It's possible you were running an older version or that the message was dismissed with the option to not be notified again. In either case, we are sorry you were not made aware of the ability to upgrade. We will do everything we can to help you get moved over to v5.

@Till What you are dealing with is more of complex issue that needs to be addressed in it's own context. You can either post a new thread or contact our support team at support@msevensoftware.com. Either way, we'll do everything we can to help.

@Dane No problem at all, and it's great to hear you were able to get access to your data in mSecure 5!

@Dan Unfortunately, there won't an updated to mSecure 4, since that app has not been supported for about 2 years. However, as long as you are running iOS 12, which looks like the latest version of iOS the iPhone 6 will run, you should have no problem download mSecure 5. Have you tried download mSecure 5 onto that device from the App Store? If so, what happened?

Having the same problem!!

I have upgraded to ver5. Your instructions were clear and easy to follow. I will contact support thank you for your help.

@MJ Please refer to my posts above for instructions on how to gain access to your information in v5.

@Kathy That's great news! It's good to hear you were able to get mSecure 5 set up and all your data migrated.

Thank you-I upgraded to the new version and was able to bring the data from the older version over! I am interested in getting the discount to have the Pro Version?

Login or Signup to post a comment