Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

IOS 14.5 requires update

mSecure has to be updated in order to work with IOS 14.5. SO do NOT install 14.5 as long as the app. is not updated. If it is not fixed  within a few days I will stop using this app. It  is too essential and should work all the time.

39 people have this problem

yes i have this issue and am not getting help from the support team  what do I do to solve it?

@Nisha After resetting your account, you should be signing in to the account you just reset and not signing up for a new account, so what you are describing is correct functionality. I believe what's happening here is that you were created new accounts, which actually should trigger the migration code in mSecure 5, so it doesn't change the final result your are receiving.

The only thing that makes sense here is that the version of mSecure 4 you are running on your device must be older than version 4.5.4, which is the newest version of the old app. In the final release of mSecure 4, we implemented a shared space for the database to which mSecure 5 has access. Unfortunately, versions older than 4.5.4 don't know about that shared space, and in that case, mSecure 5 is not able to access the older app's data.

Most of our customers running into the same problem you are after updating to iOS 14.5 or 14.6 are following the exact same steps, and the migration is working as intended. Because of this, we know if the older version of the app is 4.5.4, the migration does take place. However, there is a small handful of people for which the migration option is not available after choosing a sync option, and what I explained above is the only only explanation we have when this happens.

Do you know if you made any email backups from mSecure's Settings before the problem you are experiencing started?

@Tim Are you saying that you have follow the steps for resetting your mSecure 5 account, and you aren't seeing the option to import your mSecure 4 data after choosing a sync feature? Please be sure to go through the steps below before answering, because it could be the actual solution you need. If you don't go through the instructions, I could mistakenly think you are experiencing something that only a very small number of people are experiencing, in which case, I'll give instructions that don't pertain to you and could have very bad consequences.

If you already have an mSecure 5 account, that account needs to be in a fresh state in order to trigger the migration when signing in to the mSecure 5 app. This means you will need to reset your account first, and then sign back in to it on the same device mSecure 4 is installed. After the account is reset, the migration will be triggered as you go through the sign in process.

To reset your account, follow the steps in this support article: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/articles/36000064228-account-reset

IMPORTANT: Do not delete the old mSecure 4 app from your device. If that is done, the data stored in the app will be lost. Also, your mSecure 4 data is not connected to your mSecure 5 account in any way, so performing the account reset will have no effect on the data stored in the old app.

@Mike - Thanks for replying, I have double checked and I am definitely running version 4.5.4, so I'm not sure why the migrate option isn't appearing. I haven't made an email back up, the last back up I have is on DropBox but it appears to have not updated since 2018. 

@Nisha I wasn't aware there was a way to tell for sure that you are running version 4.5.4. Can you let me know where you were able to find that information on your iOS device? We have been trying to get that information from customers, but it's not displayed in the App Store when the app is currently installed, from what I can tell, and I'm not able to find it anywhere else on the device. If we can get this information, it would be prove extremely helpful.

@ Mike - if you click on App Store, then click the 'Search' icon at bottom right of the screen, then click the icon with your profile picture at the top right to get to the 'Account' menu, click the first option on the menu which is 'Purchased', it gives a list of all the apps you've downloaded in chronological order. If you click on mSecure, it shows which version you have.

M-Secure app will not launch on my iPad. Message states developer needs to update app.

@Charles Thank you for contacting us, and I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing after the recent iOS update. Unfortunately, mSecure 4 is no longer supported, so there won't be any updates to that version of the app. The problem is, at some point in time, older, unsupported apps always run into issues like this, which is why developers have to provide an option so that it doesn't happen. mSecure 5 is that option, as it is the update to mSecure 4 that keeps what's happening in iOS 14.5 and 14.6 from taking place.

In the older version of the app, we implemented an advertisement for mSecure 5, and that was to let our users know that the app was available and that they could upgrade at any time. Along with that advertisement, we provided an option to close it and not show it again in the future. We are finding that a lot of customers have used that option, so they aren't seeing the ad any longer. The problem is, we have no way of contacting our older customers, because the older app doesn't have an account system. Without an account system, we don't have their email addresses. If we did have their emails, we would be in communication about what is currently happening.

However, the issue brought about by recent iOS updates are a different story altogether. On all our company test devices, we have still not encountered the issue you and other customers are experiencing, which, though there are a lot of people who have experienced the problem, is actually a very small percentage of our overall customer base. Even had we been able to contact our users via email, we wouldn't have done so before the iOS 14.5 update, because we never knew it would cause this problem. And Apple doesn't send developers notifications that this type of behavior will occur, so there was no way for us to know ahead of time.

The good news is, if you still know your password to mSecure 4, you haven't lost your data. All you would need to do is install mSecure 5, create a new account or reset an existing account, and then migrate your data in from the old app. You can find out more about this process here: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/discussions/topics/36000020017

Having the same problem - app will not launch. Says developer has to update to IOS 14.5

Mike, I am having the same problems with v4 on ios 14.6 and can't access my data.

I downloaded v5 but it said it already had an account set up on my email address but I did not have the password or QR code (searched my email but nothing there).

So I deleted the v5 app, restarted my iphone, downloaded the app and set up a new account but it does not give me the option to migrate my data across from the old app. I have tried several times. Even tried a new account under a different email address but it does not ask me to migrate my data.

Can you help me with this please. At what stage should it ask me. Is there an option in the app somewhere to import data? My old msecure 4 app is still on my phone - I have not deleted that.

Thanks

@E.braun I just responded to your post in the other thread. We'll keep all correspondence there as it is much easier to keep everything straight as we go through any needed troubleshooting.

@Rick In order to migrate your information into mSecure 5, your account needs to be in a fresh state before you reinstall the app from the App Store. This means you will need to reset your account first, and then sign back in to it on the same device mSecure 4 is installed. After the account is reset, the migration will be triggered as you go through the sign in process in mSecure 5.

To reset your account, follow the steps in this support article: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/articles/36000064228-account-reset

IMPORTANT: Do not delete the old mSecure 4 app from your device. If that is done, the data stored in the app will be lost. Also, your mSecure 4 data is not connected to your mSecure 5 account in any way, so performing the account reset will have no effect on the data stored in the old app.

Ok

@E.braun Responding in other thread...no need to respond here again.

I have the older version of msecure.   It will not work after the IOS update on my ipad

@Phil 

Thank you for contacting us, and I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing after the recent iOS update. Unfortunately, mSecure 4 is no longer supported, so there won't be any updates to that version of the app. The problem is, at some point in time, older, unsupported apps always run into issues like this, which is why developers have to provide an option so that it doesn't happen. mSecure 5 is that option, as it is the update to mSecure 4 that keeps what's happening in iOS 14.5 and 14.6 from taking place.

In the older version of the app, we implemented an advertisement for mSecure 5, and that was to let our users know that the app was available and that they could upgrade at any time. Along with that advertisement, we provided an option to close it and not show it again in the future. We are finding that a lot of customers have used that option, so they aren't seeing the ad any longer. The problem is, we have no way of contacting our older customers, because the older app doesn't have an account system. Without an account system, we don't have their email addresses. If we did have their emails, we would be communicating with them to provide some explanation on what is currently happening after the recent updates to iOS, to tell them what we're doing to help, and to let them know about the backup in support which is leading to long wait times in receiving responses from our support team.

However, the issue brought about by recent iOS updates are a different story altogether. On all our company test devices, we have still not encountered the issue you and other customers are experiencing, which, though there are a lot of people who have experienced the problem, is actually a very small percentage of our overall customer base. Even had we been able to contact our users via email, we wouldn't have done so before the iOS 14.5 update, because we never knew it would cause this problem. And Apple doesn't send developers notifications that this type of behavior will occur, so there was no way for us to know ahead of time.

Moving forward, we still aren't able to tell for sure the next iOS update will cause the upgrade message to appear. Our developer has even tested on the first beta release of iOS 15, and the old mSecure app runs without any problems. In short, at this time, we do not know what is causing the issue for the old, unsupported mSecure app, but we have provided a solution.

The good news is, if you still know your password to mSecure 4, you haven't lost your data. All you would need to do is install mSecure 5, create a new account or reset an existing account, and then migrate your data in from the old app. You can find out more about this process here: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/discussions/topics/36000020017

Login or Signup to post a comment