Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket
Planned

Option for commonly supported special characters

When using the password generator I always want to use special characters but frequently find sites have a limited set supported. The subset supported varies by the technology stack, but an option to use the most commonly supported characters (!@$#._) would save time. I would not want to give up the option, however, of using the full set of special characters when supported.

2 people like this idea

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the feature request. This is something we will keep in mind for the near future. We also have plans to add other password generated options such as the ability to use random words as well in the future.

Hi, I tried to change my passwd at one of the popular sites, they use a restricted set of special characters. As you know msecure doesn't support this option and so requires me to manually modify the passwd for the site. 

It would be really nice if msecure could support selective special characters.

Thanks for consideration of this feature, I've been a long time msecure user so I'm not going to stop using it, but this feature would make using msecure more applicible at least in this use case.

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your feedback! For mSecure 6, we already have a custom "Exclusions" field implemented for the password generator. This allows you to exclude any character you would like from the generated password. However, we are also thinking through the addition of an "Includes" field, which would allow the user to enter special characters that are acceptable for the generated password. The problem is, allowing only certain characters for password generation is a much more complex process, and it has the possibility of lowering the strength of a generated password much more severely than when excluding characters. We hope this feature will be added in the first release for v6, but if not, it will be on our radar for future releases.

It would be nice to have possibility to create password profiles as well, for easier selection. I understand Mike's reason in " Store Password Generator settings (length, special characters Y/N, etc.) at record level."  post, to limit characters generally would lower the security level of the passwords. But it is very common, the sites not accept all of special characters and neither reports which are the accepted special characters. So to let the Msecure users to create password profiles for easier selection of special character sets. I think it also could increase the security because many languages in the world have more letters in their alphabet, over the English. For example, English has only 26 letters only, but Swedish has 29, German 30, Czech 42, Hungarian 44, and that are easily accessible on their keyboards. So for example in Hungary local sites often accept special Hungarian, accanted characters, but accept limited set of "generic special" characters"

I can add them to "include only" field, but I have to add the generic special characters as well. So creating password profiles could increase the security as well, not decrease only. It is a responsibility of the I think, but hopefully the users who use password managers are more aware of their digital security and do not generarate long passwords, which is easy to remember, because they use password managers.

Hi Pál,

Thank you very much for your feedback on the password generator feature. I just wrote this up as a feature request, so it will be reviewed as we continue development. I'm pretty sure this isn't something that won't be implemented any time soon, but if we get more users responding here and asking for this type of functionality, it could move up the priority list.

Login or Signup to post a comment