Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

reset secure - restore from backup

I forgot my password and typed in the wrong one too many times. I got the message that my data was destroyed. I have a backup from just a month ago. If I set up secure again will I be able to import that backup data?

I tried to set up the app again but it won't let me as it says the email is already in use so I think my account is hung up. 

Please help me move forward.

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Thank you for contacting us, and I'm sorry for the issue you are experiencing. We have a couple of different things to talk about here. The first is probably the most important and that is to clarify that without your password, there is no way to restore data from a backup file. You can try as many times as you would like to enter the password to restore data from the backup you have, but if the password is not accepted, there will be no way to get to your information.

I can help you get access to your mSecure account again, but the account will need to be reset. Once it's reset, all of the data in your account will be destroyed, and you will be able to sign in to it again with a new password you'll set. Also, after the reset, mSecure will be empty and in a fresh state, and that time you'll be able to try to restore from your backup file.

Here are the steps to reset your account:

1) Delete mSecure from your device(s)

2) Reset your mSecure account using the steps in this support article: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/articles/36000064228-account-reset

3) Install mSecure from the App Store app 

4) Open the app and move through the screens until you are asked to Sign In or Sign Up for an account

5) Tap the option to Sign In using your account's email and new password you just set

6) Choose which sync feature you would like to use, and continue through the setup screens

Were you able to get your account reset Tracy?

The next step is to try restoring from your backup file. Can you let me know where that file is stored? Also, what type of device are you using?

I am using an iPhone 13 pro. the backup file I recovered from my external hard drive connected to my  iMac.  and it is currently saved to the desktop.

Hi Tracy,

Ok, this will be easier to do directly on your Mac, because if not, you'll have to attach the backup file to an email and then use that email restore feature for iOS. It's not particularly difficult, but if you set up mSecure on your Mac it will be easier to restore your data, and you'll have mSecure running on both devices which creates data redundancy, keeping your information much more safe from ever being lost.

Go ahead and open the App Store app on your Mac, and search for mSecure. Download mSecure from the App Store, then sign in to your account. After you have signed in to your account, click "File > Restore" in the menu bar at the top left of your screen. In the window that pops up, find the backup located on your desktop, then open it. Were you able to restore the backup on your Mac Tracy?

Login or Signup to post a comment