Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

mSecure 6 - Records do not update when using auto-sync through Dropbox

I am a long-time mSecure user. I have mSecure6 on my Win10 computer, Android tablet, and iPhone (day 23 of Premium trial). I am syncing through DropBox, the sync method I have used successfully since purchasing mSecure Pro. I am also using automatic backups, again to Dropbox.

Using mSecure6 on my Win10 PC, I am attempting to modify my existing mSecure records to change the template from "Login," which I used almost exclusively in mSecure5 to more descriptive new templates to better organize my passwords. I plan to use templates as a method for sorting my records (using the Sort By Template display option). I am creating new templates and/or modifying the "canned" templates to fit my requirements. I do not have mSecure6 open on either of my mobile devices. 

When I update an existing record to apply a new template, the record appears to update and then quickly reverts back to the original, unchanged record when the auto-sync to Dropbox completes. For example, when I change the template for my password record for CBS from "Login" to a new template named "Entertainment - Streaming," which has two fields: Username and Password, the record appears to change but when the auto-sync to Dropbox completes, the record has reverted back to show the Login as the template. If I create a new record for CBS using my new "Entertainment - Streaming" template, it works fine. However, I cannot delete the original CBS record or, for that matter, any records I no longer need. Again, the record appears to be deleted but when the auto-sync to Dropbox completes, the record is still present.


If I turn off Dropbox auto-sync, delete the mSecure sync file: Dropbox/Apps/mSecure 5/UserID/data.mssb file, modify or delete a record, and then click the Sync button to manually sync to Dropbox, the problem does not manifest. The data.mssb sync file reappears. If I check the record on my Android tablet and iPhone, the changes are there.

If I then turn on auto-sync to Dropbox, the problem returns; subsequent updates/deletes revert back.

This bug was reported for mSecure5 by a user named Rand two years ago.

It clearly still exists in mSecure6.

Hi Bob

I used the new version of mSecure and successfully imported all 644 records with notes from PasswordPlus.

Thank you for fixing the migration process!

Warmly, Neill

JSeow & Mike,

This is awesome.  The Windows 11 was set for time sync but was one minute off.  Didn't notice it, since it was so close.  Now all numbers match.  Thanks so much to both of you!

@Mike That's very nice! That was a genius troubleshooting tip @JSeow!! Thank you again, because I have a feeling that's going to save users and myself a great deal of grief in the future =)

@Bob It's great to hear everything's working after the update to! Let me know if you need further assistance.

Hi Mike, Glad to have helped.  But this begs the question - should the OTP be calculated based on device-time or should it "phone home" to the mSecure server to get the internet-time.  May be something to discuss with your software developers to make the algorithm more robust.

Login or Signup to post a comment