Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket
In Progress

Browser plugins or extensions

I believe competitive Password Managers have a Chrome extension so that usernames and passwords are entered automatically (or at least prompted) when going to a site that mSecure contains the credentials for.

It would be great if mSecure had that as well. 

It would be even greater if that worked with mobile Chrome on iOS.

I see the current iOS extension but it only works with Safari, and it requires that I remember that my password is stored there (no auto-prompt), then click Share, then click the mSecure option. That's a lot to remember and not exactly intuitive (I'm not sharing). So the current functionality could be improved upon to be useful.

15 people like this idea

Hey Everyone,

Quick update here regarding the browser extensions in v6, something I should have posted before. For the initial release, there will only be support for extensions in the Mac version of the app. The reason for this is we are waiting on some big change in the way applications are developed for Windows in the near future.

mSecure is a UWP app, which are the apps distributed in the Windows Store. For some reason, Microsoft has placed heavy restrictions on UWP apps, which makes it extraordinarily difficult to implement our Browser Extensions. For the sake of security, we are creating a local connection between the mSecure app and the extensions, and since UWP apps are sandboxed a certain way, major work-arounds are necessary in order implement them in the way we have chosen.

The good news is, Microsoft is creating a way for developers to make use of UWP apps as more of a WPF style app, and this will remove the restrictions currently imposed. When that happens, our first priority will be porting over the Browser Extensions to the Windows mSecure app.

Hi Jon,

As long as you have a mSecure 5 Pro license, you'll have access to those features in mSecure 6 at no extra cost. However, there are new features like cross-account sharing that will be paid upgrades.

With regards to joining the beta program, I can help with that. Go ahead and send an email to "beta@msevensoftware.com," with your request to join the program. I'll send you instructions via email.

Is there any sight on when the chrome extension for Windows will work for v6? I've got my dad on a family license, the extension would really help, the app is difficult for him because there's no option for dutch language.

mSecure Team -  I've been an enthusiastic user of mSecure and pixel-for-pixel, it provides the best functionality of any of the other password apps I've tried (and I've tried MANY). Your standard response of "Unfortunately, for your request here, we do not give out release targets or dates. We learned our lesson with the release of mSecure 5 :-)" is getting a little long in the tooth. You were in "alpha" 2 years ago. Last year in Feb, your CEO Ray Marshall mentioned in the press that you were actively working on "desktop browser extensions" (see here). You've shared snapshots of your work-in-progress, which tells me that you are indeed working on it. However, without committing to a date, you're essentially telegraphing a date of "never". Look, I'm in the software business, and I get that doing things right takes time. However, when startups far younger than your company can support every browser extension under the sun, it's baffling why this is taking you so long. I mean, you're not exactly engaging in rocket science by building a market-leading capability; you're simply playing catch-up. I'm not going to tell you what to do/say - you should consult your marketing/PR team for this, but I will say that your current response is inadequate. At worst, it signals a lack of talent to even bring your product to market standards, and that isn't comforting. I know 2 of my friends (one of whom talked me into buying your product) have long moved on to other password managers. I'm not too far behind as I need to consolidate on ONE password manager for all my 5 family members. While I can't expect you to release a product when I need it, I am expecting you to post a more honest, thoughtful and insightful response other than the one you've been posting. Thanks

@jeep

The browser extension has been implemented in v6 for Mac and is supported in both Chrome and Firefox. It also works in the Edge browser since that browser is now Chrome with Microsoft's custom skin. For Windows, however, the initial release of v6 won't have support for the extensions. The reason for this is we are waiting on some large-scale changes in the way applications are developed for Windows.

mSecure is a UWP app, which are the apps distributed in the Windows Store. For some reason, Microsoft has placed heavy restrictions on UWP apps, which makes it extraordinarily difficult to implement our Browser Extensions. For the sake of security, we are creating a local connection between the mSecure app and the extension installed in the browser, and since UWP apps are sandboxed a certain way, major work-arounds are necessary in order to implement them in the way we have chosen.

The good news is, Microsoft is creating a way for developers to make use of UWP apps as more of a WPF style app, which are installed via a .exe file, and this will remove the restrictions currently imposed. When that happens, our first priority will be porting over the Browser Extensions to the Windows mSecure app.

Please can we have that Browser extention?  Its a source of constant frustration to me because I use R Pi and Linux and every time I want to use passwords on my R Pi or Linux system I have to get my phone out and type passwords in manually which make using nice secure proper passwords an apsolute utter pain. Also it makes the process of setting up passwords on the R Pi and making sure they are recorder in msecure a very dodgy process.

I am now looking at giving up on msecure for some other browser based system even if only for that group of passwords that I need on my R Pi.

Hi David,

The browser plugin update will be part of our upcoming major update that will also include sharing features among many other added features. However, please note that our browser plugin will require the mSecure app running on your computer to work. That means that our app will continue to not be compatible with Linux. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you here. When making passwords for devices you have to manually enter passwords for such as a device login password, I'd recommend making the password 12-18 characters long and have it not include special characters in order to make it easier to read off of another device and enter.

Hi Eden - do you now have a plugin for Chrome on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6. I am unable to find msecure extension on the chrome web store

Login or Signup to post a comment