Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket
In Progress

Browser plugins or extensions

I believe competitive Password Managers have a Chrome extension so that usernames and passwords are entered automatically (or at least prompted) when going to a site that mSecure contains the credentials for.

It would be great if mSecure had that as well. 

It would be even greater if that worked with mobile Chrome on iOS.

I see the current iOS extension but it only works with Safari, and it requires that I remember that my password is stored there (no auto-prompt), then click Share, then click the mSecure option. That's a lot to remember and not exactly intuitive (I'm not sharing). So the current functionality could be improved upon to be useful.

15 people like this idea

I've given up on waiting for mSecure within Chrome - have moved to LastPass.

This tread is over 2 years old and the last update is three months old.  What is the status on bringing mSecure plugins to Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Opera in Windows 10 and IOS?

Hi Lee,

We are very close to our first beta release for version 6, so the full release is getting close. At this time, we don't have a concrete release date, but it will be as soon as possible.

Hello

Do we have any idea of when mSecure 6 will become available?

Hey Everyone,

Quick update here regarding the browser extensions in v6, something I should have posted before. For the initial release, there will only be support for extensions in the Mac version of the app. The reason for this is we are waiting on some big change in the way applications are developed for Windows in the near future.

mSecure is a UWP app, which are the apps distributed in the Windows Store. For some reason, Microsoft has placed heavy restrictions on UWP apps, which makes it extraordinarily difficult to implement our Browser Extensions. For the sake of security, we are creating a local connection between the mSecure app and the extensions, and since UWP apps are sandboxed a certain way, major work-arounds are necessary in order implement them in the way we have chosen.

The good news is, Microsoft is creating a way for developers to make use of UWP apps as more of a WPF style app, and this will remove the restrictions currently imposed. When that happens, our first priority will be porting over the Browser Extensions to the Windows mSecure app.

mSecure 6 will follow a more traditional upgrade model where it will install over the top of the previous version, so mSecure 5 will no longer be available in the app store.

While the full details for the mSecure 6 pricing model are not yet ready to be released, licensed mSecure 5 users will not have to pay an upgrade fee to continue with all of the features they have in mSecure 5. Also, there will be upgrades that come for free to mSecure 5 users, but there will also be some premium features that will require a purchase to use.

In short, licensed mSecure 5 users will get an upgrade at no cost, but not all features will be available without an extra purchase. We plan to send out email communication to our customers as we get closer to the mSecure 6 release.

@Mike - mSecure

So, Mike, it is correct to say that we will have the discontinuation of mSecure 5 and an upgrade (paid) for mSecure 6 soon. That's right?

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update on mSecure 6. It is still are main focus, and all our energies are being placed on its development. Browser extensions are already built for both Chrome, Firefox and Edge (sinc it's now built on the Chromium engine) and are ready for beta testing. The reason it's not yet in beta is because the rest of the mSecure app needs to be ready for beta in order to release. Also, Safari will have support too, but there is still some work to be done there. If any would like to sign up for beta testing please send an email to support@msevensoftware.com where I'm tracking our customers who wish to test early releases of the new version.

I have just flirted with migrating to Dashlane, Keeper, and NordPass. NordPass has the nicest UI, but still doesn't match mSecure's UI. The killer feature of the others is the browser extension - love that! Particularly when it's bi-directional i.e. includes auto-save. But for the basic necessities, mSecure thoroughly beats them, IMHO.

I am as impatient as everyone else here to get the browser extension feature - and I would happily pay for the upgrade - mSecure 6? - and/or take part in a beta test for Edge, Firefox and Safari (I'm a mac user). However, I would say the workaround of fingerprint ID to open and then copy and paste, is eminently... workable.

On the other hand, some of the competition don't handle non-website, app login records very well and in some cases, don't handle website security Q&A at all - for which there is no convenient workaround. And, you pay a subscription for the privilege!

So yes, to the mSecure team - please hurry up and release browser extensions. To the mSecure faithful, don't fret too much - from what I can see, the grass isn't really greener on the other side, but you will pay more for it!

mSecure Team -  I've been an enthusiastic user of mSecure and pixel-for-pixel, it provides the best functionality of any of the other password apps I've tried (and I've tried MANY). Your standard response of "Unfortunately, for your request here, we do not give out release targets or dates. We learned our lesson with the release of mSecure 5 :-)" is getting a little long in the tooth. You were in "alpha" 2 years ago. Last year in Feb, your CEO Ray Marshall mentioned in the press that you were actively working on "desktop browser extensions" (see here). You've shared snapshots of your work-in-progress, which tells me that you are indeed working on it. However, without committing to a date, you're essentially telegraphing a date of "never". Look, I'm in the software business, and I get that doing things right takes time. However, when startups far younger than your company can support every browser extension under the sun, it's baffling why this is taking you so long. I mean, you're not exactly engaging in rocket science by building a market-leading capability; you're simply playing catch-up. I'm not going to tell you what to do/say - you should consult your marketing/PR team for this, but I will say that your current response is inadequate. At worst, it signals a lack of talent to even bring your product to market standards, and that isn't comforting. I know 2 of my friends (one of whom talked me into buying your product) have long moved on to other password managers. I'm not too far behind as I need to consolidate on ONE password manager for all my 5 family members. While I can't expect you to release a product when I need it, I am expecting you to post a more honest, thoughtful and insightful response other than the one you've been posting. Thanks

nothing new here? it has been promised for sooooooo long. really like msecure, but due to lack of updates i am considering switching to lastpass.

Eden,

That is a great shame as when I abandon windows altogether I may have to migrate to a different password progrm.

And another comment,  you said " we have never been Linux oriented developers" , is it really so hard, after all Android is based on Linux and you do Android Apps - although I admit that is not the same thing since Android provides facilities not present under Linux.

I can appreciate it may not be a priority but I feel its still worth having on the list .... please.

Hi David,

I'm not sure why making a browser plugin that does not solve a problem that we are not wanting to solve is amazing. I personally love Linux and use Ubuntu/Mint for personal use. However, as a company, we have never been Linux oriented developers. Our browser plugin will require the computer software so that our browser plugin does not have to communicate directly with our servers this will ensure a much more secure extension/plugin and also ensure that all sync methods (mSecure Cloud, Dropbox, iCloud, WiFi, or disabled) can use the feature. 

Eden,

I am amazed, you are going to do a Browser plug in that you admit does not solve the problem - i.e. will not work on Linux.  

I work on my R Pi and Linux a lot and typing in passwords on different websites etc is a pain.  

I do agree though that a part solution is to choose passwords that are long, and secure,  but easy to read and type in correct.  I like making up sed words that sound a bit like they miht mean something and stringing a few together. 

I wonder if there could be some way to send passwords to Linux that did not require the full facility and was better than copy paste into an email which I do resort to sometimes.

When will the Chrome extension be avail?  ASAP pls.

Login or Signup to post a comment