Use this guide to learn how to create a backup of mSecure 4 on iOS or Android and restore from that backup in mSecure 5. mSecure 5 will walk you through a migration process if used for the first time on a device that has the previous version. However, if the migration was skipped or somehow did not happen, you can always create a backup of mSecure 4 that you can use to restore your information in mSecure 5.
To import your existing information into mSecure 5, you can follow these steps on your iOS device. You must use Apple's Mail app to use these steps. You can use this article to learn how to set up the Mail App:
- Open the old mSecure app on your device, and unlock the app using TouchID or by entering your password
- Tap the settings icon in the bottom toolbar
- Tap "Email Backup" to create a new backup of your data
- In the "To" field, enter an email address that you have access to in the "Mail" app on your iOS device, then tap "Send" in the top right to send the email backup
- Open the Mail app on your device, and find the email with your backup file attached
- Tap on the attachment, then tap "Copy to mSecure" NOTE: Since you are still running mSecure 4.5 on your iOS device, there will be 2 "Copy to mSecure" icons. Tap the one that has the new, dark blue background behind the key logo.
- In order to view the "Copy to mSecure" option, you might have to tap on the "More" icon option in the Share window and select the "Copy to mSecure" option from the the full list of Suggestions.
- After mSecure 5 is opened, use TouchID or enter your password to unlock the app
- Tap the red "Restore" button when prompted
After you have completed these steps, you should now see all of your existing information in mSecure 5. If you are using one of the app's sync features, within a minute or two, all of the data that was just restored should sync over to all your devices running mSecure 5 and signed in to the same account.
What we need to do is simply create a local backup in mSecure 4 and restore that backup into mSecure 5. Please follow the steps below:
- Open mSecure 4 and unlock the app
- Tap the "mSecure" icon in the upper left corner or swipe your finger from the left side of the screen
- Tap "Settings" at the bottom of the menu
- Scroll down and tap "Backup," then tap "Internal SD Card"
- Tap Continue to make a backup of your data to your internal storage
- Tap "OK"
This creates a backup onto your device's internal storage. You should be able to find the backup by going to your device's main storage folder, then find the "mSecure" folder. Open that folder, and you should see the backup you just created with a very current time/date stamp in the name of the file.
Use this guide to learn how to restore from that backup in mSecure 5 on the same device: Backup and Restore in mSecure 5 for Android
If you need to restore from the backup on another device:
Go ahead and attach that backup to an email, then send the email to yourself so that you will have access to it on your new phone. Alternatively, you can simply move that file to a folder in your Google Drive account, then export it to the "Download" folder on your new phone. If you go the email route, open the email you sent to yourself on your new phone, and download the attached backup file to your "Download" folder.
To restore from the backup you just created:
- Open mSecure 5 on your new phone and unlock the app
- Tap the menu icon in the top left of the main view
- Tap "Settings" at the bottom of the list of options
- Scroll down and tap "Restore"
- Navigate to the "Download" folder and open it
- Find the backup file you just created, then tap it to restore the data from the file
- Enter the password you are using to unlock the mSecure 4 app on your old phone to start the restore process
After you have completed these steps, you should now see all of your existing mSecure data in mSecure 5. If you are making use of one of the sync features, within a minute or two, all of the data that was just restored should sync over to all your devices running mSecure 5 and signed in to the same account.
Currently, using mSecure 4 on Android? Here are different steps that you can use to migrate your information from mSecure 4 to mSecure 5:
- Open and unlock mSecure 5
- Tap the menu icon
- Tap Settings
- Tap Restore
- Tap the back arrow key twice (the icon is located in the top-left area)
- Tap "msecure4-migration.msim" (if using mSecure 4.0.5 or 4.0.6, mSecure 4 will automatically create this file and continuously update the file with your latest changes in mSecure 4)
- Restore from the backup file
Did you find it helpful?