Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket
Answered

mSecure - Any independent audits on the roadmap?

I've used mSecure for many years, it's been awesome and I've loved it.  But an independent audit has never been performed.  Bitwarden is open source and respected amongst a lot of the privacy/cyber security community and I would be lying if I said I had never considered switching.

Just curious if mSecure will ever do an independent audit, especially since it isn't an open source platform?

I do love mSecure and I think the iOS app looks great, along with the MacOS app.  So I'm not switching for now but I think it would bring some peace of mind to some of the privacy/cyber security community if an independent audit happened.

Answer

Hi Harrison,

Thank you for the question. We do have it on our radar to get an independent auditor involved with mSecure, but there are no plans to have it done before our 6.2 release, which is what we're working on now. Unfortunately, I don't have a timeline for when an audit might be done, but I will bring this up with our developer in our next meeting since it has been awhile since we talked about it. 

Hey Mike, thanks for the quick reply!  Glad to hear that an independent audit is on your radar, I think it would make a big impact for certain subsets of the community and they would recommend mSecure more to those who are looking for a good password manager.  Keep us posted when something like that might happen.

When will 6.2 release and what are some of the new features? 

The 6.2 release have quite a few UI updates for both Mac and iOS, which we've been wanting to do for awhile now. In particular, the Edit Record view and the Security and Sharing Centers will have an updated look as well as some UX updates to make some features a little easier to use.

The big new feature we're working on is the Browser Extension for Windows. The features have been fully implemented now, so we're in the process of testing and we're making sure everything looks the way it should. Windows users will finally be able to use the browser extension in Chrome, Firefox, Edge and any other Chrome-based web browsers, just like the Mac version has had since the 6.0 release.

The other feature we're working on is new functionality for saved filters on all platforms. When we first released 6.0, we introduced the Filter Bar for mobile in a very simplified way. We exposed the ability to change the template for each of the filters, but it was very limited in it's feature set. In 6.2, for all platforms including desktop, you'll now be able to create complex filters for each of the available filter slots in the app. So for mobile, there will be 5 available customizable filters in the bar at the top of the record list (there is currently only 4 filters that can be used for templates, so we added one more to the bar). On desktop, the "Quick Filters" at the top of the left column, which coincide with the filters in the Filter Bar for mobile, will be customizable in the same way. 

Filter customization will give you the ability to save multiple Templates, Tags and Vaults as a query for searching records. It will also give you the ability to save what type of sorting the filter has, so each filter can show a different sorting of the records returned. You'll also be able to set an icon for the filter chosen from the different icons we have created for the app. So, for example, you'll be able to save a filter that searches for all records using the "Login" and "Credit Card" templates, with the "online-shopping" and "technology" tags, stored in your "Business" vault, sorted the way you want them sorted each time you tap the filter. Of course, if you want to keep using the filters in the same way as always, that's ok too. In this case, you'll simply get the opportunity to select which template you would like to filter by when you select one of the filters in the Filter Bar or in the left column on desktop.

After 6.2, we're going to be focusing heavily on the web browser functionality for the next release. One of our main goals is to port of the full browser extension to Safari for both Mac and iOS. The current browser implementation for iOS simply ties into Apple's Password AutoFill APIs, and it's not nearly as full-featured as the browser extension. For example, with Password AutoFill in Safari on both Mac and iOS, there is no concept of "Auto-Capture." This means when you enter in credentials for an exiting account, or updated the password for an account in your browser, mSecure can't record them for you automatically. We want that functionality for iOS. We're not sure at this time if it's possible to do so for Android, but if it is, it will be available on that platform as well.

As for the release date, we don't have a concrete date at this time. We're simply putting all our development resources towards it and are pushing to have it ready as soon as possible. After all changes are made to iOS and Mac, we will spend time testing to make sure it's ready before submitting to the various app stores.

Login or Signup to post a comment