Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

Switching from Dropbox to Cloud Sync - Records duplicating

I'm attempting to switch from Dropbox syncing to msecure cloud for a number of different reasons, mostly related to poor update date handling through Dropbox.  But leaving that aside, my issue is this:

When I first migrated the first device to Cloud sync, it duplicated my records - meaning that I now have 2 of every record and no easy way to remove 1 of them.  So fine, I restored a backup and the 2 devices that were turned on now only had 1 copy of each record.

With each subsequent device that I turned on, however, it is again duplicating records, but now only on that machine, since it already had the dropbox sync data and apparently adds the cloud sync.  Except in some cases where it also duplicates it on some other machines, which is why I can't sort this out.

I have 5 machines total, and right now 3 of them (2 android phones and the last Windows desktop I migrated) have 990 records - the right number.  My other 2 Windows devices each have 1980 records since they have 2 copies of each.  

In order in which they were migrated we have:

My Phone - 990 

My laptop - 1880

Wifes phone - 990

Wife laptop - 1880

Desktop - 990

In order to get the desktop migrated successfully, since it originally also had 1880 records, I had to wipe it out and restore from my phone.

So is the procedure, which I can't seem to find anywhere, that ALL devices must be on (obviously the laptops are not always on) simultaneously during the migration period?

I'm now planning on wiping everything out all at once across all devices and hopefully performing my last restore, but want to make sure I'm not missing something since this is really pissing me off.

Doug

Hi Doug,

I'm sorry for the issue you're experiencing here. You shouldn't be running into this at all, and I'm not sure how it's actually happening. The records in mSecure all have a unique ids, so no matter which sync feature you use, you shouldn't see duplicates. The other strange thing is, I can check to see how many records are in your account (but can't see data stored in them) and the number is correct. Well, technically it's 1 too many, as I'm seeing 991 records stored in the mSecure Cloud. At any rate, I have no idea what could be happening on your two PCs.

The simplest fix here would be to simply delete mSecure on both of them and reinstall. That doesn't tell me what's going wrong, but it should get you passed the problem.

Were you able to reinstall mSecure on the two PCs with 1880 records, and does it show the correct data now?

Thanks Mike - it was certainly odd. I eventually deleted all records from each device individually so that none of them had any records in them at all and then restored a backup from my Android phone. That seems to have solved the issue. Now I just need to figure out how to be able to copy a password (on my Android phone) without it automatically opening the browser. All the auto-fill sounds are off but it still pops open a browser every time I touch a password - the same action that used to copy it. Doug

Hi Doug,

It's great to hear you were able to fix the issue with the duplicate records. I'm hoping that's not a widespread issue, but if it is, we will get to fixing it as soon as we are able to get more information on how to reproduce it.

For the other issue you are reporting, that's fixed in the new version we recently published to the Play Store. After you are able to download version 6.0.6.1626, you'll be able to copy the field data to your clipboard without launching the browser.

Thanks Mike! I would have sworn I was already on 1626, but perhaps not. Regardless, I am now, and the copy functionality is working, so thanks! Doug

No problem at all Doug! Thank you for your patience with this, and if you need further assistance, let me know.

Login or Signup to post a comment