Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

Disapointed in new msecure 6 licensing model

Hello,

I've been using mSecure since version 5 and I was quite happy with it. I decided to get it because of its one time payment.

Now, I understand that you need some kind of steady income for development. However, I think that is not the only way to get it. Bringing up new features that people want to pay for could be one way to do it. To be honest, if you bring up new features in version 6, I would gladly pay for it once.  If I see that the new features are worth it, I would pay more than what I paid for version 5.

Now you're just like any other password managers with almost no competitive advantage. Your subscription model is just a lazy excuse to get the development going.

Bad thing is that I'm forced to upgrade to version 6 on my iphone and ipad even though I don't want to upgrade. Because of that I have to upgrade to version 6 on my macos. Would be great if I could get my version 5 back. Thanks.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the automatic update from v5 to v6, we tried to make this as seamless as possible.

You're not on the hook to pay for mSecure v6 at all, in fact, you actually have gained more features than v5.   You're welcome :)

You are currently on a Trial for 30 days so you experience what a real upgrade looks like, then after 30 days, if you bought v5 PRO you will be reduced to the Essentials subscription package.

mSecure v5 is no longer an option.  If you upgraded to v6 on one device, your master database was also upgraded, making all the remaining versions of v5 unable to sync.

We will continue to provide excellent support, but due to so many other users complaining, please give us a bit of time to fix this issue.

With Respect

- Another member in the same boat.

David and mSecure Team,

I don't like being forced to subscription model because  then I don't own the software anymore.

Is there any guarantee that the Essential Account will be there forever?

What will happen when mSecure 7 comes out? Will I be forced to upgrade? Will there be "free" subscription for me by then? Will it run on my older machines?

What will happen when mSeven Software Inc. does not exist anymore? Will I be able to run the software?

For me, the biggest reason for mSecure was the perpetual license. I bought mSecure 5 for exactly this reason.

Subscription model gives the control to the company to do as they please, including increasing the subscription price.

It is frustrating that the "automatic" upgrade is not communicated properly from mSeven side and that a rollback to version 5 is not possible anymore.

@David Please refrain from answering any response in a manner that makes it appear that you have any connection to the staff here at mSeven Software. I understand you don't like what's happening, but what you're doing here is not acceptable. And yes, I see that you tried to cover your bases by saying "With Respect - Another member in the same boat" but that doesn't take away your what you have said above those words. "You," David, are not a part of "we," the mSeven Software company.

@Galuh David is not a part of mSeven Software. Can you let me know what you think you're being forced into a subscription model? You are not being forced to sign up for a subscription if you paid for a v5 Pro license. Instead of dropping support for mSecure 5, we have given all our v5 users free access to the Essentials tier of features in v6. We are guaranteeing our V5 Pro users free access to the Essentials tier for at least 3 years. Also, we don't have any plans of charging our v5 Pro users for any upgrades in the future even past the 3 years. Because of this, we're not sure why you would want to continue using v5, since you have free access to a supported version of mSecure in the future.

@Mike

> Can you let me know what you think you're being forced into a subscription model?

The fact that I am "automatically" (notice the quotes) upgraded to v6 which does not have a one-time payment only anymore. I understand that you don't have control whether automatic software update on macos/ios/ipados is activated. But it happened to one of my devices. Sadly, there's no rollback to v5 so I'm forced to upgrade to v6 on all of my devices.

> You are not being forced to sign up for a subscription if you paid for a v5 Pro license.

Even though I don't have to pay for the subscription model, for now. But by upgrading to v6 you are essentially forcing me to move to the subscription model. I am forced to sign up for the essentials account whether I like it or not. Without me having a choice.

> We are guaranteeing our V5 Pro users free access to the Essentials tier for at least 3 years. Also, we don't have any plans of charging our v5 Pro users for any upgrades in the future even past the 3 years.

As I wrote in another thread. You contradict yourself by saying "we don't have any plans ..". From my perspective, you're not guaranteeing anything. You just don't have any plan to change your plans, yet.

> Because of this, we're not sure why you would want to continue using v5, since you have free access to a supported version of mSecure in the future.

I paid for a v5 Pro license and I want to keep it. If I want to upgrade to the new subscription model, I should have a choice because I didn't sign up for it. You took my choice and my decision of why I bought v5 in the first place.

As I wrote in another thread, I understand that software/hardware can't be supported for eternity. But you should have a plan when to discontinue support for the product.

@Galuh

> The fact that I am "automatically" (notice the quotes) upgraded to v6 which does not have a one-time payment only anymore. I understand that you don't have control whether automatic software update on macos/ios/ipados is activated. But it happened to one of my devices. Sadly, there's no rollback to v5 so I'm forced to upgrade to v6 on all of my devices.

I understand what you are saying, and it's unfortunate that the upgrade took place automatically. mSecure 6 is the direct, or "natural," upgrade to mSecure 5, and we chose this method of upgrade because of the horrible user-experience that accompanied the mSecure 5 upgrade where we created a new app. I know for some in this forum, probably for many, that upgrade went without any problems. However, for very large number of our users, it was a very, very difficult transition.

> Even though I don't have to pay for the subscription model, for now. But by upgrading to v6 you are essentially forcing me to move to the subscription model. I am forced to sign up for the essentials account whether I like it or not. Without me having a choice.

You will never have to pay for a subscription in mSecure, but, again, I understand what you are saying. The only difference between us creating a new mSecure 6 app and providing a direct upgrade path is that now there is guaranteed length of support - 3 years. Had we abandoned mSecure 5, you would have had a random period where the app continued to work. That may have been 3 years or it could have been much more. No one knows. Regardless, either way, mSecure 5 was always either going to be left unsupported like mSecure 3 and 4, or it was going to upgrade into mSecure 6. For v6, we converted the Pro license over to an Essentials license, and made sure you didn't lose any features you had in mSecure 5. Again, it's guaranteed for 3 years, and we don't have any plans to charge for an upgrade even after that 3 years has elapsed.

> As I wrote in another thread. You contradict yourself by saying "we don't have any plans ..". From my perspective, you're not guaranteeing anything. You just don't have any plan to change your plans, yet.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "From your perspective, you're not guaranteeing anything." We have guaranteed 3 years where you will not have to pay for an upgrade. How is that not a guarantee? It's true that after 3 years, we may charge some type of upgrade, but, you're right, we haven't made any plans like that yet...and we don't plan to. If business realities didn't exist, we would not have charged anyone of the mSecure 5 update either. We had no plans of doing that when we released mSecure 4, and we would have said the same thing then. Things do change, and plans do change, but it is not foregone conclusion that we will charge our v5 Po users an upgrade fee in the future.

> I paid for a v5 Pro license and I want to keep it. If I want to upgrade to the new subscription model, I should have a choice because I didn't sign up for it. You took my choice and my decision of why I bought v5 in the first place.

I'm not sure what to say to this one Galuh. We are trying to everything we can to do right by our customers. Some like it, and others are really angry about what's happening. It has been the same with every release we have ever published. Every time we think about how to treat our long-standing customers right, and every time, many think we did the worst thing a company could do and others think we absolutely did the right thing. In the end, I hope you can see that we tried to the best we could while having to make a change to survive as a company.

Login or Signup to post a comment