Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

password mixup

My purse was stolen and i quickly changed my password for msecure. In the stress of the situation ( I was in Rome and all  was very confusing) I forgot to clearly write down the change. So I came home and have tried since to change it back on my new  phone and re-log in.  I did it correctly and typed it in twice and it changed it. 

But .... now when I now re-enter in what I thought was the new password, it now declines it.  I have my QR code but I do not  understand how to use it. Can you help in any way to restore access to my msecure on my iphone?  Troubled in Italy.  CC

Thank you for contacting us, and I'm sorry for the issue you are experiencing with your password. If mSecure is not accepting the password being entered, then that password is not able to be used to decrypt the data stored in mSecure. The only way that can happen is if the password being entered is not able to decrypt the Account Key correctly, in which case, mSecure will tell you the password is incorrect. We don't have any known bugs with this part of the app, so we're sure that if the password is rejected that it's not the correct password being entered.

Unfortunately, if the password is rejected, there is no way to make use of the QR code. The QR code is your account key encrypted with your account password. So if mSecure doesn't accept the password, the encrypted account key can't be decrypted, and the data stored in the app cannot be decrypted either. In the end, if the account password isn't accepted, there is no way to bypass the requirement, and there is no way to access the data stored in the app.

There is not a lot we can do in these types of situations. In order for the information stored in mSecure to be as secure as possible, mSeven Software doesn't acquire our customer's password or the information stored in their mSecure account, so there is no way for us to retrieve either of those items. I'm really sorry I don't have better news here. 

Is it possible you used number and/or special character substitutions like typing $ for S or 3 for E that you're not entering correctly? If that's not helpful, the only thing I can help you with is resetting the account, and then you could try restoring from a backup. The problem with this is, when you reset the account, all of the data stored in the account is deleted. If a backup was not able to be found, or the restore was not able to be processed, then the data would not be able to be retrieved any other way.

Login or Signup to post a comment