Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

Unable to sync.... and has support ended?

Unable to sync. I have different account names on my computer version of mSecure and and my iOS version. When I try to match them I am tole that an account already exists in that name. It is impossible to match accounts for this reason. I posted a ticket 2 days ago for a problem I have not been able to resolve. I am wondering if there is anyone there.

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for contacting us. The problem here is that you have to be signed in to the same mSecure account in order for any type of syncing to work. If the account keys in each app don't match, there is no way to decrypt the data being synced between the apps, so syncing will not work.

Also, each account must have a unique email address for the username, so when you try to change the username in one app to the same username of another account, it won't work. You have two different accounts here, so the system sees this operation as you trying to make account2 have the same username as account1.

What you need to do is simple reset mSecure on one of your devices, then set up the app again using the correct account. Before you do that, however, I need some information from you first. On which device do you see all your information when you open mSecure? That will be considered your primary device for now, and you should not reset the app on that device. Also, what type of computer are you using? Is it a Mac or PC?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I am using a MacBook Pro 16" running OS 12.0.1 and mSecure 5.7.2 also I have the latest version of mSecure running on an iPhone 11 Pro. I consider the iPhone to be the primary device. Does this mean that my next step thus should be to reset mSecure on my Mac?

Hi Sebastian,

That's right, you'll need to delete the database file for mSecure on your Mac, then sign in to the account you see in mSecure on your iPhone.

To reset mSecure:

1. Open mSecure on your Mac, and look in the top left corner of your screen. You should see "mSecure" in the menu bar. To the right of "mSecure," you should see the word "Help."

2. Click Help in the menu bar, and a contextual menu will appear. Hold down the "option" key on your keyboard, and you should see two hidden options appear at the bottom of the contextual menu.

3. Click "Show Data File in Finder", and a Finder window will appear revealing mSecure's database file, which is named, "mSecure.mscb"

4. Close mSecure

5. Move the "mSecure.mscb" file to the trash

Now you have reset the Mac app, and you're ready to sign back in to your mSecure account:

1. Open mSecure on your Mac

2. Skip the welcome screens to go directly to the Sign Up / Sign In screen

3. Click "Sign In"

Enter your mSecure account's email address that you see on your iPhone for the username, then enter the password for that account to sign in to it.

Hey Mike,

Brilliant! This works like a dream!

It's good to know about that hidden Help menu...

My Mac and iPhone are now syncing seamlessly.

Thank you so much for your help.

Best wishes,

Sebastian.

It's great to hear everything is working now Sebastian! Thank you very much for your time, and please let us know should you need further assistance.

Mike, I just wanted to say that I have now finished the transition from mSecure 4 to 5. It really is a very elegant piece of software; I like it more and more. I was not keen to move on from 4 as I was really happy with its functionality. The upgrade from 4 to 5 is really worth the investment. I thank you again for your help.

Sebastian Dewsbery 

Hi Sebastian,

It's great to hear how happy you are with the move to v5! Going to the new account system that wasn't present in v4 has been a bit of a hurdle, but once everything's set up right, it should be a very simple app to use, just like the old version. You may have heard v6 is just around the corner, and I wanted to let you know that the upgrade to that new release will be more straightforward. V6 will install over the top of v5 rather than being an entirely new app that runs alongside it, so when the upgrade is released, you'll just tap the upgrade button in the App Store app, or it will update automatically, and you'll be good to go.

Take care Sebastian, and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Login or Signup to post a comment