Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

mSecure 5.70 (163) — Failed sync to Dropbox

Dear Friends,

I am running mSecure 5.70 for Mac on my iMac. I upgraded from mSecure 3.5.7.

Never had a problem syncing to Dropbox with the former version 3.x.x.  Am unable to sync to DB with 5.70. I've attempted to do so several times now. Each attempt results in the following error message: "The local account key doesn't match the remote account key."  See attached screenshot. 

What am I missing? Is there a fix? Thanks!

Neil

Hi Neil,

An account key mismatch happens if a user has gone through an account reset but did not either remove the local Mac database file, reinstall the app on all other platforms, and(or) removed the iCloud or Dropbox syncing file. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which steps you took or didn't take after the account reset in Nov. 2018. However, if you removed the local mSecure 5 Mac database and(or) reinstalled the app on your iOS/Mac devices, all you should need to do to fix your issue here is remove the older Dropbox sync file. 

The file is located at: Dropbox/Apps/mSecure 5/USERID/data.mssb

I would recommend disabling syncing for your mSecure account and removing that Dropbox file. Afterward, re-enable Dropbox syncing and see if your issue is fixed. If not, your issue could be because you did not remove the local Mac database file or reinstall the app. Here's a guide that shows you how to remove the Mac database file and sign back into your account if needed:  https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/articles/36000064290 

Hi Eden,

Thanks for responding. Today, after creating a backup of the data file, I deleted the full contents of version 3.5.7 on both the iMac and iPhone, including on Dropbox. Then, I started up the iOS version. It worked fine. I was able to sync with Dropbox and a newly created mSecure folder there. 

The iMac is a bit different story. I’m at work, so I downloaded and installed the 5.70 app. I already had the QR code for my license, so I scanned it with the iPhone. But, I am unable to open the iMac version. The password on the iPhone does not work on the iMac. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? 

Neil

Hi Neil,

Fortunately, this issue has nothing to do with mSecure 4 or any previous version. This issue is also not an issue of any kind of license or purchase. As mentioned in my first reply, this issue is caused when a user goes through an account reset and the app is either not reinstalled on their devices, the Mac database file is not removed, or the iCloud/Dropbox sync file is not removed. It would seem that you were signed in already in mSecure 5 on your Mac before you went through an account reset in the past. 

The QR code is not a license code. The QR code is simply a visual way to display your encrypted account key. The account key is what is used, for security, to encrypt your data locally and online. After an account reset, the app on the first device you use after installing or reinstalling the app will create a new account key for you and this new account key will be used moving forward to encrypt your date. If the app is not reinstalled, the Mac database is not removed, or the iCloud/Dropbox sync file is not removed, users can experience all sorts of encryption issues. Please follow these guide on your Mac to remove the mSecure 5 database file and sign back into your account: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/articles/36000064290

Hi Eden,

I deleted the Dropbox file (Dropbox/Apps/mSecure 5/USERID/data.mssb). Unfortunately, the desktop app is locked and does not recognize my password. The iOS app on my iPhone does recognize the password. It will link to Dropbox if sync is on. But, I have shut snyc off and deleted the mSecure folder from Dropbox. It seem that my desktop and iPhone apps are not communicating.

Thanks for your help.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Can you please follow my instructions? Initially, I mentioned that this might be a Dropbox sync file issue. However, my last response clearly states that you should follow the article that shows you how to remove the Mac database file and sign back into your account. Please do that. Here's the article again: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/articles/36000064290

Eden,

I've deleted the "~/Library/Containers/com.mseven.msecuremac/Data/Library/Application Support/mSecure" file. I can now signon. The app wants to scan my QR code. I received a current code on 11/3. When I scan the image, there appears an error message "Invalid QR code".

Thanks.

Neil

Hi Neil,

You last changed your account password on 11/28/2018.  Any QR code email before this password change or account reset is and will be invalid. Do you have access to mSecure 5 on any device where you are currently signed in to your account in? If so, you can go to the Account Settings to resend yourself another QR code email. You can learn how to resend yourself the QR code email here:  https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/articles/36000064234 

Hi Eden,

mSecure 5 is working fine on my iPhone. I accessed the QR code menu and sent myself an email with the code. I opened mSecure 5 on my iMac and centered the QR window in the app over the QR code in the email. Received the message: the code is invalid. This afternoon, I sent the QR code to myself again. When I tried scanning the email with the app, the same message appeared. I then tried scanning the code in the email with my iPhone. It worked fine. 

The mSecure 5 app on the iPhone works fine. The mSecure app on the iMac works fine (though it contains no data yet). The password is the same for both locations.

Thanks.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thank you for the update. Your account is set to not sync. Without syncing, your information will never be shown across devices. To enable a sync option:

1. Open and unlock mSecure 5
  2. Access the settings or Preferences
  3. Select the Sync or Sync Settings option
  4. Select a sync setting

Hi Eden,

Thanks for your help in the last message. I have mSecure 5 working and syncing with Dropbox, my iphone, and my iMac at home. I am continuing to have difficulty with syncing my iMac at work with Dropbox. I've sent myself the QR code a couple of times, but the error message "Invalid QR code" continues to be displayed. I've been unable to figure out what is wrong.

Hi Neil,

I'm a bit confused here. You talk about Dropbox syncing but then talk about using the QR code and getting an invalid QR code message. Is this a sync issue or are you simply unable to sign in and authenticate your account in mSecure 5 on your iMac? 

If you are trying to authenticate your account via the QR code email image, what email client or app are you trying to use? Have you tried simply going to gmail.com on your browser and trying to scan the QR code image from gmail.com directly? We've run into issues in the past where an email app will cache the QR code image so the image being display might not be the correct one. This is not the case when using gmail.com instead.

Also, please make sure that mSecure 5 has the permission to be able to use "Camera" and(or) " Screen Recording" on your work's iMac. That setting is in the System Preferences under Security & Privacy.

Hi Eden,

You are correct in noting that the subject has changed somewhat. My home Mac and iPhone versions of mSecure 5 are working and syncing with Dropbox. Problem solved there.

My work iMac is unable to sync with Dropbox because mSecure 5 is not recognizing a valid QR code—same code used to validate the home Mac. I followed your suggestions and opened Gmail in Firefox, pulled up the email with the code, and scanned it. The message was Invalid QR code. I turned on the camera, making sure the mSecure 5 had permission to access to the Camera and Screen Recording. Same message: Invalid QR code. For some reason, mSecure 5 won’t validate the QR code on my work iMac.

Hi Neil,

So it sounds like Dropbox syncing has nothing to do with your current work iMac issue. When dealing with an issue, we want to always focus on the issue itself not what the issue is preventing you from moving forward with and doing. Your issue here seems to be trying to authenticate your account when signing in to mSecure 5 on your work iMac. Is that correct?

If your work iMac has a camera, can you open mSecure 5 on your iPhone, navigate to the Account Settings, reveal your QR code in the app itself and try scanning that QR code instead? Also, please note that the permissions required on Mac are two separate permissions. One permission is to allow mSecure 5 to use your Camera and the other is the Screen Record in order to scan the QR code from an in app or image within the desktop screen. If you gave our app Camera permission, you might not have given our app the Screen Recording permission needed in order to be able to scan an image from within the computer screen. 

Login or Signup to post a comment