Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

scroll bar not functioning

my scroll bar shows up and then immediately disappears. How can I get the scroll bar back ?

1 person has this question

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting us and I'm sorry about the issue you are experiencing. First, what version of mSecure are you using here and on what platform? 

Version 5.5.3 on Apple. On my lap top the scroll bar first appears then immediately disappears. I appreciate whatever help you can provide.

Hi Joseph,

That sounds like normal macOS behavior? The scroll bar will appear and disappear after a little bit of scrolling by default (scroll bar setting set to "When scrolling"). You can always change it so that  your computer always shows the scrollbars if needed:

1. Open System Preferences
  2. Click General
  3. Set the "Show scroll bars" setting to either "Automatically based on mouse or trackpad" or "Always"

It worked initially and the scroll bar appeared. Then it disappeared again, same as before. Are you suggesting it's an Apple problem and not an mSecure issue ?

Hi Joseph,

I don't even know if this is an issue yet. What Scroll Bar setting are you using? If using "When scrolling," are you not able to get the scrollbar as soon as you start scrolling on the mouse or mouse pad?

Eden- Based on your instruction I first checked  and found the setting on "when scrolling". I then switched to "always" and it initially worked. A short time later I went back on and the scroll bar stayed on for less than a second and disappeared (as before). Since then I've also tried the "automatically based on mouse or trackpad" and the same thing occurs, the scroll bar shows up and then disappears. None of my other programs have that issue.  

Thank you for this extra information. Have you tried restarting your computer to see if that has any affect on your issues here?

Yes, anytime something has been changed I will always shut down and restart. Same thing happens. The scroll bar does show up for a brief moment and then disappears. The only way I can check a password is to input the name at the top of the page and it then shows up. Obviously the scroll bar would help. Do you think it has anything to do with the mouse itself ?

I'm still not exactly sure what the issue is. Would you be able to make a video to show what the issue is? Here's a quick demo on how the scrollbar works:

To create a video, you can open Qucktime:

1. Click File
  2. Click "New Screen Recording" 
  3. Follow the prompts to start recording and stop recording

I have the same problem. I think it's been there since the major upgrade to mSecure on the Mac. - quite a while.

Im addition to the characteristics Joseph describes:

• I have System Preferences set to always show the scroll bar, but it only appears momentarily when clicking on an entry at the to or bottom of the list of entries and moving the selection with the down (or up) arrows so the list scrolls. However the scroll bar disappears so quickly, I can't grab its with the mouse. 
  • With mSecure open, if I change the macOS scroll preference to something other than always on and the immediately back again, the vertical scroll bar appears and operates correctly.
  • However if in this state, if I use the mouse to select a category from the left hand panel, the scroll bar immediately disappears.
  • If I drag the bottom of the window up or down, the scroll bar reappears momentarily, just long enough for me to grab it. But the appearance of the scroll bar is different. There is no bar. In it's place, just a black object which one can drag up and down to scroll.
  • With the scroll bar in place by changing the system preference back and forth, If I click in the left hand panel, the scroll bar disappears.
  • If I get the scroll bar to appear by changing the system preference back and forth and the quit and restart mSecure, the scroll bar is gone again.
At this stage I'm somewhat reluctant to capture this in a movie and forward. That may compromise security of my mSecure entries.
Let me know if I can be of further help.

Login or Signup to post a comment