Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

Sorting the Types

Is there a way for the user to control the sorting of the "Types" lists?

On the mobile (iPhone) version, I do see how to display my main list sorted by types, but if I add a record (Add Item), the Types list looks pretty random and I have to search visually through that list for the desired Type. 

On the laptop version (Mac 5.5.2), if I display all items and sort by Type, the first 10 in the list look random, then alphabetical afterwards. Maybe that's frequently used for the first 10, but when I'm looking for a type to display, I have to visually search through the first 10, then possibly look through the rest alphabetically. I don't think that way. 

Also on the laptop version, in that left column, if I click to Show Types, that list seems to have about 22 random Types, then the rest are alphabetical.  I get the same behavior when I add a record. 

Is there a way to simply have that Types list remain all alphabetical?  

2 people have this question

Hi Curt,

Thank you for contacting us. By default, we sorted the record types in the order we believed the record types would be used most. However, you can change the order of the record types in mSecure 5 on Mac. Here's a video showing you how. 

Thanks. That's exactly what I want to do.

Dear all,

I think you should do a deep revision in version 5.5.2 regarding Types.

I tried to do what is showed in the video but with no success.

I can change the order of all Types, but in the end they return to the initial position. I've tested all option I could, eg. closing Preferences and open it again after Type order change, or closing the App and starting it again. No luck, the Types do no stay as I ordered it.

Another strange thing is when I click Logins in the left pane, several Type titles apear, and I think it should appear Logins only.

Can you tell me if all this is a bug and if so when it will be fixed?

Regards,

Miguel Madeira

Hi Miguel,

After editing the Types orders, all you should have to do is lock and unlock the app in order view the changes in the app. I am not experiencing your issues. Perhaps your preferences file is having issues here. Let's delete it to see if that fixes your issues:

1. Open and unlock mSecure 5
  2. Click Help and hold down the Options key
  3. Select "Show Preferences file in Finder"
  4. Close mSecure 5
  5. Remove/delete the com.mseven.msecuremac.plist file
  6. Restart mSecure 5

As for the Logins filter on the left pane, it will display any record type that qualifies as a login record. That is, any record type that includes a URL, username, and password. We intended it to work that way

Hi,

I tried your suggestion and found that I could change some Types and put it in the order I need.

The strange thing is that this not applies to all of them, some stays in the position I choose for it, but others return to the previous place.

More tange than this is after I change some Types from position and it stayed in that new position, when I change others from one position to other, the ones that where previously OK, appear in other random position.

This is very strange, and in my opinion is a bug.

For you to know, I renamed the Types to my foreign language, Portuguese.

Best regards, Miguel.

This is definitely either a bug or very poor design. Do you guys actually use your own software? I mean really use it. Daily.

On my Mac, I was able to put the list of types in alphabetical order. (Please add sort functionality so we do not have to sort by dragging.) So now, when I go to add a record, the types menu comes up with App Account at the top and WiFi at the bottom and everything else in its proper position.

So far, so good.

How do I do this on iPhone? When I go into Settings and click on Edit Types, all the types are in alphabetical order, as they should be. But when I go to add a record, the list of types is not in any recognizable order, and it is very frustrating. I even thought maybe I could go into Settings and put the list in REVERSE alphabetical order (since it was already in forward alphabetical order). Maybe that would have some effect on the order that appears when you add a record. But no, it is not possible to re-order types by dragging them (or any other way) in Settings->Edit Types.  Not only that but the alphabetized order I created on the Mac does not proliferate to the iPhone via Sync.

This is a problem and a surprising one at that. Your software is sophisticated in some respects, but THIS? Why is THIS--a foundational task for every beginning programmer (i.e. sorting)--why is THIS an issue? I really want to know. Is it because of being multilingual? Why did you consider this extremely basic convenience, for both types and groups, not worth putting in your software? I am a programmer myself and this just boggles the mind. You guys really talked up how you built version 5 by combing through every line of code to make it as efficient and secure as possible. Really? It would cost so much to include those little up/down triangular markers that let you control sorting? I just do not get it.

Maybe a way to sort these according to alpha would be better. In my case, opened a mSecure5.app on another "Family computer" and the ordering was a mess (e.g., no idea what ordering). Maybe you could better define what the "Standard" wording is supposed to be? 

Login or Signup to post a comment