Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

Support mSecure

Locked out of v4

Got message today that the developer needs to update the app to the latest version

2 personnes ont le même problème

Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, mSecure 4 is no longer supported, so there won't be any updates to that version of the app. The problem is, at some point in time, older, unsupported apps always run into issues like this, which is why developers have to provide an option so that it doesn't happen. mSecure 5 is that option, as it is the update to mSecure 4 that keeps what's happening in iOS 14.5 and 14.6 from taking place.

In the older version of the app, we implemented an advertisement for mSecure 5, and that was to let our users know that the app was available and that they could upgrade at any time. Along with that advertisement, we provided an option to close it and not show it again in the future. We are finding that a lot of customers have used that option, so they aren't seeing the ad any longer. The problem is, we have no way of contacting our older customers, because the older app doesn't have an account system. Without an account system, we don't have their email addresses. If we did have their emails, we would be in communication about what is currently happening.

However, the issue brought about by recent iOS updates are a different story altogether. On all our company test devices, we have still not encountered the issue you and other customers are experiencing, which, though there are a lot of people who have experienced the problem, is actually a very small percentage of our overall customer base. Even had we been able to contact our users via email, we wouldn't have done so before the iOS 14.5 update, because we never knew it would cause this problem. And Apple doesn't send developers notifications that this type of behavior will occur, so there was no way for us to know ahead of time.

The good news is, if you still know your password to mSecure 4, you haven't lost your data. All you would need to do is install mSecure 5, create a new account and then migrate your data in from the old app. You can find out more about this process here: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/discussions/topics/36000020017

I don’t know my old m4 password - is there a way for me to change it via the web?

Hi Lorenzo,

Unfortunately, there is no way to change your password this way in mSecure. However, we have been trying to figure out a way to help our customers through this issue, and our developer was able to get a utility version of the old app built yesterday, which enables you to retrieve the password you used in mSecure 4. Do keep in mind that it can only help if you were using Touch or Face ID to unlock the app. If not, there is no way to retrieve the password from the old app.

Can you let me know if you were using Touch or Face ID for unlocking the old mSecure app?

Yes I used Touch ID

Hi Lorenzo,

Our developer was able to get a utility version of the old app built, which enables you to retrieve the password you used in mSecure 4. Do keep in mind that it can only help if you were using Touch or Face ID to unlock the app. If not, there is no way to retrieve the password from the old app.

This version will not be available in the App Store, since it's only a utility version of mSecure 4, created for a single purpose. In order to download it, you will need to download the TestFlight app from the App Store if you don't already have it installed on your devices. 

Should you choose to download this utility update, I will need the Apple ID (email address) you use on your iOS devices. Once I have that, I can add you to the TestFlight list of users who will be given access to this version of the app. Once added, you will get an email invite to download the app from the TestFlight app. The new version will download over the top of mSecure 4.5.4, and it can only be used to reveal your password. Since v4.5.4 can no longer be opened, this shouldn't be a problem, but I do want to make sure you understand all that will happen when the new build is downloaded. In particular, the TestFlight version will have no functionality for viewing your data. It can only retrieve your password from iCloud Keychain on your device, and then display it to you.

Once you have the password, you can write it down and enter it when upgrading to mSecure 5.

Let me know if you have any questions about this process. If you're ready to proceed, download the TestFlight app, send me your Apple ID, and I'll add you to the TestFlight list. One thing to mention, some customers don't like sending their email address here in a public post. If you don't want to post your Apple ID, we'll have to do this via email instead.

Yes please send me your email

In order to this via email, you'll need to send an email to support@msevensoftware.com. In the subject line add, "Attention Mike: Apple ID for v4 Utility App". I'll search for that periodically, and find you more quickly than just getting to it as we process the emails.

Connexion ou Inscription pour poster un commentaire