Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

Knowledge Base Forums Submit a ticket

Modify Fields

How do I modify or delete existing fields? I am trying to rename and existing field .

I am finding this new version almost impossible to use. The old version was so easy, but this version has been designed by committee and /or government department. Just dreadful.

Hi Greg,

Just like the previous version, you can go into the Settings, and click "Edit Types" to edit, remove, or add record types and their fields. 

Yes I know that, but how can I modify/rename existing record fields?

Hi Greg,

Perhaps I"m not understanding your question here. In order to modify/rename existing and future record fields, you go into the Edit Types menu and you edit the record types you want to edit.

On iOS:

1. Open and unlock mSecure 5
  2. Tap the menu icon
  3. Tap Settings
  4. Tap Edit Types
  5. Tap the record type you'd like to edit
  6. Rename or remove any record fields you'd like to
  7. Save

All records for that record type will then be updated to reflect your changes and any new records for that record type will also the new changes.

I have the same question. I have just imported all my data from another app as a .csv file, but the 3 fields I want to change are currently called Field 0, Field 1 and Field 2. On my iMac, the Edit Types is greyed out.

I think I have it figured out, have to select all items from left hand panel, not right hand panels.

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for contacting us, and I'm sorry for the issue you are experiencing. I'm not sure I understand what you mean. It sounds like some or all of your records were imported as Unassigned type records, and if that is the case, I don't know that you'll be able to change the label for the fields. Can you let me know if all of your records have Field 0, Field 1 and Field 2 for the labels? 

Also, in the left column of the desktop app, you should see a bunch of filters. In the Types section, do you see records for a bunch of different types, or are all of the records in just one Type, which is most likely called "Unassigned"?

I have the same issue as Greg above.  My records were imported and I have only 1 unassigned.  Field 1; Field 2; and so on are all greyed out.  I am unable to rename those fields.  Very frustrating.  And why am I seeing the website in what looks to be Spanish?

I figured out the language issue.  Still need a fix for the renaming fields.  Thanks.

@Wanda Thank you for contacting us. Can you explain in more detail what you mean when you say you have only 1 unassigned? Are you saying you have only 1 record that was imported into mSecure? Also, did you import your data from a backup made in the older version of mSecure, or are you moving to mSecure from a different app? If it's just like @Greg's issue, then I'm assuming you are upgrading from the old app, but I need to be sure before I try to help.

All my records migrated through to the new app.  Of the bunch only one was unassigned the rest were under a separate group. All the records came through with labels of “ Field 0; Field 1; etc.”  I want to change the labels but there doesn’t appear to be a way to do that. The “Field 0,” etc. Labels are greyed out and I cannot edit them.  I don’t know how else to explain it. 

That's all I needed Wanda. You don't need to explain it any differently. What seems like something very simple on your end can be extraordinarily difficult to understand on our end, so just a little bit of details can make all the difference.

Do you still have the old mSecure app installed? If so, on what type of device or devices is the app installed? Also, do you remember how you transferred your data from the old app? Did it happen when you went through the v5 app set up process, or did you have to create a file in the old app that you imported in the new app?

For clarification, the reason I need the information I'm trying to get from you is because what you are experiencing is not the way the app normally behaves. In other words, it's no our intention that your data would be imported into the app differently than the state it was in in the old mSecure app. The only way I know customers can experience what you are describing is if they tried to export their data to a CSV file, and somehow that export was either altered or damaged. In this case, all sorts of things can go wrong. I don't know what has actually happened, so I need as much information as I can get to try to diagnose the problem.

Thank you for your reply. I’m a pretty certain I created the CSV file and I now understand how the erroneous field names have been inserted. That said, I thought I be able to rename the erroneous labels but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I do have the original mSecure app and database but it’s too late to re-import as I’ve added cards to the new app.  I am now undertaking to re-enter all 200+ cards in the new app.  I don’t think there is any other way.  Sigh….

Thank you for the extra information you provided here Wanda. While this won't help now, in the future, always use the backup feature to transfer data from one app to the other. The CSV export feature should only really be used to transfer data out of the app to a different app, or if you were wanting to print your data and keep it in a safe of some place protected. That being said, if you were going to print your data, there is a better way to do that.

Regarding the current state of your data, if there isn't a lot of new information in mSecure 5, I would recommend backing it up and restoring it from what you have in the old app. You may find you only need to re-enter 10-20 new records rather than having to re-enter all of them. Do you know about how many records you have created in mSecure 5 that aren't available in the old mSecure app? 

I am moving from passwords plus to msecure. is there a requirement for the essentials or premium to edit or modify fields, as passwords plus had a custom field option?

I am not trying to compare the two products just to figure out the requirements and to see if this is possible. I am working with the essentials currently.

Login or Signup to post a comment