Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure-Unterstützung

MSecure no longer works on IOS 14.6

I’ve been using mSecure for 10 years. After iOS update 14.6 I now get a message that the developer needs to update the app to work with this version. How do I rescue my data?

3 Personen haben dieses Problem

Hi Corry,

I'm sorry for the issue you are experiencing here in iOS 14.6. The good news is, as long as you remember your password, you will be able to migrate your existing data into mSecure 5. You can find more information here: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/discussions/topics/36000020017

Thanks Mark. I have done this and paid for pro version. My wife has also used the free version which is expired. Question: I’d like to share the one mSecure access between us and integrate all of her data with mine. Can that be done?

Hi Cory,

It's great to hear you were able to get your data migrated! The Pro license covers all you and your immediate family member's devices, so you are free to install mSecure 5 onto her device and integrate her data in with yours. One thing to mention, however, is that there is no easy way to perform a merge of both your sets of data. If you were to do this, you would want to pick the data set that is largest, get that data into your account, then you would need to manually enter the other records.

One thing that could help is that in v6, which we are trying to get released as soon as possible, does have a feature where you can merge data when you restore from a backup file. In v6 you are also able to share data between different mSecure accounts, though I don't think you need that, since you're wanting to merge both sets of data. I'm not sure if you would like to wait for v6 before integrating, or if you might be interested in becoming a beta tester, but the process you are going through would be much easier in the next version of the app.

Thx again Mike for super fast response! I think I’d prefer to wait for v6 if it’s not too far into the future so happy to wait. Can do beta if you wish. Regards Corry

No problem at all Corry! V6 will be released as soon as possible. We're about a week into beta testing now and getting a lot issues fixed and pushing to release within the month of June. Take care, and let me know if you have any other questions.

I’m also having this issue with 14.6. I’ve been a user of mSecure since 2011 and lost everything, so to say I’m upset is an understatement. :( I never wanted to install v5 as it is cloud-based and looked like it wanted to have all of my personal passwords and information in the cloud, and I’m against information like this being held in a cloud and not existing solely on a physical device I am always in possession and control of. I have safety concerns about wanting all of this data in a cloud. Please tell me that you are going to be updated the previous version so that us original app users can retrieve all of our last additions in this app and be able to view and access it again. I hope it’s not being left unsupported without giving your long-time users the chance to see this lack of support coming. We had no warning. :(

Hi Natalie,

mSecure 4 is no longer supported, so there will be no updates to that version of the app. mSecure 5 is the update to mSecure 4 that keeps what's happening in iOS 14.5 from happening. It was never our intention to continue the support of mSecure 4, but at the same time, we didn't want to force our customers to upgrade. The problem is, at some point in time, older, unsupported apps always run into issues like this, which is why developers have to provide an option so that it doesn't happen. mSecure 5 is that option.

In the older version of the app, we implemented an advertisement for mSecure 5, and that was to let our users know that the app was available and that they could upgrade at any time. The problem is, we have no way of contacting our older customers, because the older app doesn't have an account system, so we don't have their emails. If we had the emails, we would be in communication about different thing happening with mSecure. However, issues like iOS 14.5 are a different story altogether. On all our company test devices, we have still not encountered the issue you and other customers are experiencing, which, even though a lot of people have experienced the issue, is actually a very small percentage of our overall customer base. Even had we been able to contact you via email, we wouldn't have done so, because we never knew iOS 14.5 would cause this problem. Also, Apple doesn't send developers notifications that this type of behavior will occur, so there was no way for us to know ahead of time.

To clarify data storage in mSecure 5, you don't have to store your information in the cloud. You can use Wi-Fi syncing, where your data is stored only locally on each device, or you can choose to not sync your data at all.

If you still know your password to mSecure 4, you haven't lost your data. All you would need to do is install mSecure 5 and migrate your data in from the old app. You can find out more about this process here: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/discussions/topics/36000020017

Please let me know if you have other questions about all of this Natalie.

My mSecure 4 is no longer working. I want to upgrade to version 5 but I don't know my version 4 password. I use my fingerprint. What are my options?

@Ed Thank you for contacting us, and I'm sorry for the issue you are experiencing after the most recent iOS update. Our developer was able to get a utility version of the old app built, which enables you to retrieve the password you used in mSecure 4. Do keep in mind that it can only help if you were using Touch or Face ID to unlock the app. If not, there is no way to retrieve the password from the old app.

This version will not be available in the App Store, since it's only a utility version of mSecure 4, created for a single purpose. In order to download it, you will need to download the TestFlight app from the App Store if you don't already have it installed on your devices. 

Should you choose to download this utility update, I will need the Apple ID (email address) you use on your iOS devices. Once I have that, I can add you to the TestFlight list of users who will be given access to this version of the app. Once added, you will get an email invite to download the app from the TestFlight app. The new version will download over the top of mSecure 4.5.4, and it can only be used to reveal your password. Since v4.5.4 can no longer be opened, this shouldn't be a problem, but I do want to make sure you understand all that will happen when the new build is downloaded. In particular, the TestFlight version will have no functionality for viewing your data. It can only retrieve your password from iCloud Keychain on your device, and then display it to you.

Once you have the password, you can write it down and enter it when upgrading to mSecure 5.

Let me know if you have any questions about this process. If you're ready to proceed, download the TestFlight app, send me your Apple ID, and I'll add you to the TestFlight list.

One thing to mention, some customers don't like sending their email address here in a public post. If you don't want to post your Apple ID, we'll have to do this via email instead.

@mike is there a support email where I can send my Apple ID?

@Ed You can send your Apple ID to support@msevensoftware.com. Make sure to put "Attention Mike" in the subject, and then notify me here that you sent the email so I can process it more quickly.

@Mike I just sent my Apple ID to support@msevensoftware.com.

@Ed I just responded to your email. We'll keep our correspondence there from here on out.

Anmelden oder Registrieren um einen Kommentar zu veröffentlichen