Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

mSecure Support

base di conoscenza Invia un biglietto

Access to account of deceased

Is there a way for me to access my husbands account since his death?

1 persona ha questa domanda

Hi Sean,

Thank you for contacting us, and I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your husband. Unfortunately, due to the way in which mSecure protects the information stored in the app, we are unable to recover the login password for an mSecure account. For the purpose of security, account passwords are not stored anywhere other than in the account holder's memory, so knowing the password is the only way to gain access to the data stored in mSecure. Also, mSeven Software doesn't acquire any of our customer's information, so we have no way to gain access to the information stored in the mSecure app.

I’m very sorry I don’t have better news here Sean.

So what advice do you have for family members or executors in terms of allowing persons with the password to access mSecure account information on behalf of deceased or incapacitated persons?  For example, I can give my daughter my mSecure password.  Is that enough to access my mSecure information?  How should she do this? 

@John Anyone who has your mSecure password will be able to open and unlock the app on any of your devices. Are you asking how you would give them access to your account so they could access your information on their own devices? If so, the only way anyone can get access to your information on any devices the mSecure app is already signed in to your account is if they know your password. If they need access to your account on their own devices, they would need to know your password, the email to your mSecure account, and they would also need to have your account's QR code so they could be authenticated as a person should be able to access your account when setting up the mSecure app.

Thank you for the prompt reply.  Both my daughters are half a world away so yes they would need to be able to do this on their own devices.

Please, please consider writing this up as a formal document and put this in your knowledgebase.  Your client base won't live forever and easy instructions for current clients will help immensely in the future

Thank you very much for your feedback John. The good news is, we have plans on adding a feature to the app to make it easier for chosen family members, will executors, lawyers, etc. to gain access to your data in the event of the account holder passing. Until then, other people simply need to have access to the account by downloading mSecure and signing in to the account. That's currently the only way to have access to another person's data when using mSecure.

Hello Mike.

In the preparation of my Will and POAs, my attorney, who has an MSecure account suggested I look into one.

From these threads, I understand there are no "break the glass" access options but there are road map plans.

For now, am I correct that to share access, the person I share access with has to also have a paid license?

Also, if I don't want to go that route and do the backup option, what exactly am I providing my executor and/or POA and does that give them total access to all of my files and passwords?

Thank you in advance for your time and support.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for contacting us about this feature. After the release of mSecure 6, there are a couple of different ways to share data with another person. There is cross-account sharing, which is what requires both parties to have a Premium license, but I don't think that's what you want in this situation. With cross-account sharing, you would simply set up a vault to share all your information in, and then the other person would have access to that data in there mSecure app.

There is also the method of simply giving the other person your account email address and password, but that means you have to trust that they will not make use of it before that use is required. Also, if the account password is ever changed, you have to notify the other person, or they will not be able to access the account. Again, though, I don't think this is what you're looking for, but at this time, it might be the best option.

The other thing you can do is simply make a backup like you mentioned. The problem here is, if you were to change a password for an account after the backup was created, you then have to make a new backup and send it to them, because the data in the old backup is now outdated.

In all these methods, however, the other person will always have full access to your data, and there really is no way to prevent them from making use of it before they're supposed. The feature we will be implementing takes care of this problem, but at this time, I don't know when it will be moved up on our priority list. Version 6.1 is just around the corner, and we already have plans for what will be contained in the 6.2 release which should be delivered sometime in January, or shortly thereafter. It's possible something like what you're looking for will be added to 6.2, but it might be in 6.3 or after. At this time, I'm just not sure.

Excellent!! Thanks Mike. I’ll use the back up method now and look forward to future capabilities.

No problem at all Paul! Let me know if you need further assistance.

Accedi o Iscrivitiper pubblicare un commento