Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

Support mSecure

Lost old phone, new phone cant login to mSecure

I lost my old phone, got a new phone, installed mSecure, and it doesn't allow me to log in at all. My credential works fine on mSecure Support portal, which is what I used to login to this.

I think i am on the old model, mSecure 5, data sync to DropBox and not mSecure cloud.

what do i do?

Hi Keith,

Thank you for contacting us. You have two different threads posted in our forum, so I'm not sure why you're asking if our company is dead. It's not. Don't worry about the other thread, because I deleted it. We'll keep all our correspondence in this thread moving forward.

One thing to clarify, the support portal is not connected to the mSecure app in any way. They are two totally separate account systems, so being able to sign in to one does not mean you will be able to sign in to the other.

I searched using your "mail@hoekeat.com" email address, and I was able to find your mSecure account. It looks like you were able to change the password on the account about a month ago and then there was an update on the account a couple days after that. Are you saying you were never able to use mSecure 6 on any of your devices?

When you say "...it doesn't all me to log in at all" what exactly do you mean? If you are seeing any error messages, please tell me what they say.

I think my ticket is pretty straightforward, It is the installed app, for Android phone, downloaded from App store, that I cannot login.

The error I encountered is "Incorrect email or password".

on top of that, I've also downloaded your official app, via windows app store, to my WIndows 11, having similar error as above.

I've also mentioned my data is sync to my dropbox, therefore you should be able to advice me which mode i am using, and I am assuming is not on your cloud.

Hi Keith,

While it seems to you your question is pretty straightforward, I can assure you it isn't. Also, I wouldn't be asking questions to try to get on the same page with you if what you asked was straightforward. My goal is to help you as quickly as possible, so if I ask you questions, it's because I need more information to get things as straightforward for me as they are for you.

To reiterate, your support account, which is what you sign in to to look at this thread we're using for communication, is completely different than your mSecure account. If you are able to sign in to this support account to view and update your ticket, that does not have any relationship to signing in to your account here: msecure.com/login. Your support account is not related to your mSecure account in any way.

The first thing I need to know here is do you have access to your information in any version of mSecure on at least one device? If you do, which device is it? It doesn't matter whether you know the password to get into the app. If you can get in using some type of biometric unlock, that will make it possible to get the data onto any device.

no other device

Ok, the problem here is that mSecure cannot sign in to your mSecure account with the characters you're entering into the app. It simply takes the password you enter and your email address, and attempts to sign you in to your account. If that works, then you're signed in. If not, then it shows you that your email and/or password is incorrect.

Unfortunately, there's not much we can do in these situations. In order for the information stored in mSecure to be as secure as possible, mSeven Software doesn't acquire our customer's password or the information stored in their mSecure account, so there is no way for us to retrieve either of those items. Also, in order to keep your information from being accessed without your permission, it is not possible to bypass or change an account's password when mSecure is not accepting the password the user is entering.

The data stored in mSecure is secured with your account password. Since the data is now in an encrypted state, there's no way to decrypt it if the password isn't able to sign you in. The only way to decrypt the information, making it readable again, is to enter the exact password that was used when the data was encrypted.

While it is possible to get access to your mSecure account again, to do so would require an account reset. However, if you reset your account, all of the data stored in the app will be destroyed. The reason for this is to maintain the highest level of security when it comes to the information you store in the app. If a feature were implemented to retrieve the password for an account, that would mean we would have to store your password in our system, which is a huge security hole. In order to avoid that, we do not support the ability to reset a password while maintaining data stored in the account.

I'm really sorry I don't have better news here.

Do you have any ideas as to what the password could be? If so, one thing that has helped some customers in this situation is trying some letter substitutions for the password attempts. Whatever the password may be, it's possible you used number and/or special character substitutions like typing $ for S or 3 for E. Hopefully this can aid you in finding the correct combination of characters for your password.

I know my password very well, it is your app that is not accepting the password. This, I cannot understand.

There is this QR code thingy, I still don't understand if that plays any role at all. I cant find anyway to unlock my account using the QR. Or, what is the QR for in the first place?

https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/articles/36000064225

Can you read this and make some sense out of it? Coz i cant.

please address this point

I kept my data in dropbox, if you said the data is encrypted with my email/password, then how is the app authenticating my credential BEFORE i establish the connection to my dropbox??

Hi Keith,

If the password you are entering is not being accepted by mSecure, then the characters you are entering are not able to sign you in to your account. There are no bugs in this part of the app. The authentication system we use for mSecure accounts is an open source system utilized by thousands of services. mSecure simply takes the characters you enter and uses those characters to sing in to the account. If the sign in fails, the password you entered is not correct.

The QR code you have is encrypted with your account password. That is the reason it can be sent you securely via email. Since the password you are entering cannot sign you in to your account, it will not be able to be used to decrypt the data stored in the QR code. Since the QR code can't be decrypted, it is useless in this case.

In the end, if the password you enter cannot sign you in to your account, there is absolutely no way to decrypt the data stored in your account. I can get you access to your account, but it is literally impossible for me to retrieve your data if the password is not able to sign you in.

WHERE IS THE PASSWORD STORED?

What do you mean? The password is not stored anywhere in our system. That's why mSecure is as secure as it is. As I mentioned in my previous post, mSeven Software never gets access to your password. We don't know the password, because it's never sent to us and we do not store it with your account, as that would be the most insecure system imaginable.

If you are asking about the account system and how it knows you're entering the correct password, it uses a one-way encryption feature that hashes your password. The hash is stored in the system, and there's no way to know what it is. When you enter your password, it's hashed again and then matched up with the stored hash. If they match, you entered the correct password. It it doesn't match, then you entered the wrong password.

The only place your password is stored is in your memory.

Connexion ou Inscription pour poster un commentaire