Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

Support mSecure

What happens when I pass away? Digital Contingency Planning w MSECURE?

How do I provide access to my MSECURE password account to either a family member or the executor of my will?  Does MSECURE have this capability?  The key question is whether my executor would have to use only my devices to access OR if my MSECURE account could be accessed from a different device? 

I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts or plans for this concern (though I have no intentions of dying anytime soon!!)

Hi Rob,

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, mSecure does not currently have a Emergency Access or Will feature. First, I have to provide information about the different versions of mSecure currently available:

1. mSecure 5
    • Latest version and only version we are continuing development on
    • Uses an account system
    • Provides built-in syncing option (mSecure Cloud)
  2. mSecure 4 and below
    • There's a variety of versions for the different platforms (Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows)
    • Deprecated/ no longer in development
    • No account system
    • Information only available locally on device unless iCloud or Dropbox is used. 
      • That means that all the information is removed whenever you uninstall or reinstall the app. You then have to enable a sync feature again in order to sync the information again. mSecure 5 works similarly except that if you have our mSecure Cloud enabled, your information is synced in immediately after you reinstall the app and sign back into your account.

Currently mSecure (mSecure 5 or above) does not have any sharing features. However, we are planning to change that soon with the introduction of sharing options which will only be available if users elect to use our mSecure Cloud syncing option. Our sharing options will allow users to share their information across mSecure accounts with as many people as they would like. Our sharing options will allow users to set a group or collection of records and provide 3 different levels of options for users to share those records. Customers will be able to allow users read, read/write, and admin privileges to their information. Once these sharing features are in place, we will work on creating an Emergency Access feature. Like the sharing feature described above, an Emergency Access feature will require the use of our mSecure Cloud syncing as well.

For now, if you are using mSecure 4 or below, you can always create a backup file and provide access to that backup file and the backup file's password to either your family member(s) or the executor of your will. However, in order for that to work, your family member, and(or) executor of will, will need to have access to a device that has mSecure 3 or 4 installed on it. An alternative would be to use mSecure 5 to restore the backup file with.

On the other hand, if you are using mSecure 5, you can either provide a backup file and it's password to someone who can then restore from that backup file using mSecure 5 and any account (restoring overwrites all previous information) or you can enable our mSecure Cloud syncing feature and provide access to your account credentials (account email address, password, and account key).

You can take a look at this image to understand the difference between the different versions of mSecure:

Thanks Eden. I do use Msecure5 and do use its cloud backup. (I think). Just to clarify- in this case I could give a copy of my back- up file with my access info to my son (for example). If he has Msecure 5 he could (with my password and email (?) open my file on his device. Or he could directly access my M-secure cloud back up from his device via the internet if I understood correctly. ANOTHER QUESTION: If he were to use MSecure5 for himself under his email and password, would he still be able to access my cloud account (with my access info) while not disturbing his own data file? This all seems like a reasonable alternative until you guys develop your sharing and emergency access capabilities.

Hi Rob,

Backups and syncing(the feature I mentioned) are two completely separate things. A backup is an exact copy of your information at the time you created it. Syncing is always changing with the latest changes you make. We offer both options in mSecure 5. mSecure 5 will automatically create backups, allows you to manually create backups, and also has syncing options. Here's articles that might help.

Syncing options: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/36000114422

Auto Backups: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/folders/36000176847

Manual Backups: https://support.msecure.com/en/support/solutions/folders/36000176540

If you use mSecure 5 and use our mSecure Cloud syncing, there's no need to provide someone your account credentials and a backup file. You simply have to provide someone your account credentials (email address, password, and account key) in order for them to have access to all of your mSecure information. You are also free to create a backup file and provide a backup file to them. However, it makes no sense for them to have access to your account credentials and therefore your information and then also provide a backup file. Also, as previously explained, restoring from a backup overwrites any existing information.

So your current options are:

1. Provide someone a backup file and the backup file's password. 
    • This would allow anyone with access to mSecure 5 (there own account or creating a new account) to restore from the backup file and view all of your mSecure information
    • Restoring from a backup file overwrites all previous information. If the user has information of their own, they would want to create a backup of their own data before restoring your own. That way, they can always restore back their own data.
  2. Provide someone your account credentials and make sure you are using mSecure Cloud Syncing 
    • This would allow that person to sign in to your account and have access to your data in mSecure 5 on any device.
    • Since mSecure 5 was designed for a single user at a time, if the person has their own mSecure account, they will need to reinstall mSecure 5 on their device in order to sign in to another account
  3. Provide both a backup file and your account credentials
    • This is a bit of overkill but would ensure that the person could either sign in to your account or just restore the data from a backup file directly

Hope all this info helps. I'm happy to answer any more questions you might have.

Connexion ou Inscription pour poster un commentaire