Chat support available. Click the chat icon on the bottom right corner to start chatting with us right away!

Support mSecure

Reporté

Allow editing/changing of record Types

It seems to be the case that every element/field of every record can be edited except "Type." Can this be changed so that this element/field can also be edited (perhaps through a pull down menu like used for "Group." As it stands now, if you decide sometime after you create a record as a "Login" (for example) you decide that it makes more sense for it to be an "Email Account" you have to delete the entire record and start all over.

25 personnes aiment cette idée

Hey there, @Mike.

Finally went through all the postings.  Wow, even forgot I had chimed in about 3yrs ago.  But I'm glad to hear that changing the Type of an entry will be available in v6.  I do have some that need to be modified to a new Type and just shy of doing what I suggested in my post, I'd still rather wait. 

I have a question though, if I'd like to be a Beta tester, too, how does being a tester affect one's current data?  Is it a different app?  Does it not touch our current database (therefore we just create dummy records and play with the functionality of the new app)?

In any case, if you can advise on the above, I'd be up for testing.  Are you still thinking v6 is still not going to be released before end of 2021?  That's still 6mos away.

Thanks.

Ed

Unfortunately the beta app just updates your current app version and runs against your current database.

That concerned me initially - but I've been running v6 on MacOS, iOS and iPadOS and haven't had any problems with my existing passwords.

@Andy Thank you for chiming in here to answer @Ed's question.

@ Ed I can add you as a beta tester, but I won't be to do so right away. We have had to divert some of our resources over to helping with an issue affecting the older, unsupported mSecure app after recent iOS devices, so we aren't adding new beta testers now. If you can reply the beginning of next week, I should be able to get you on the list shortly thereafter as long as we are able to keep things under control in support.

Regarding your questions, as @Lawrence said, mSecure 6 installs over the top of your mSecure 5 app, and it updates your data. It is not a different app, so we make sure everyone creates a backup of their mSecure 5 data before downloading the beta version so that if anything happens, it's not difficult to revert back to v5. We've only had a couple of testers do that, but it wasn't due to a data-related problem. They just wanted to stop beta testing.

I just finally upgraded to v5 so I am 3 years passed this discussion.     I am pleased to hear about v6 resolving the editing of Types issue.   However, I did think of one other solution you might want to consider that is very simple.  

Why not create another field or record type called "Category"?  This would simply be a filtering tag separate and apart from Type.   This solves the issue of the Type being a template versus how we want to organize our records.   It would be easy to change with out disrupting the item structure.     As an upgrade, I would also move the Icons to the Category since they would get much more daily use.    I doubt that Types would miss the Icons.   

@Stephen I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here, but it's possible you are just asking for a "Tags" feature, which is implemented in mSecure 6. In the new version, you will be able to add multiple tags to records for organizational purposes. It's not exactly what you are saying here, but any tag can be used for any purpose by the user, so it should be flexible enough for what you are describing here.

Mike, 

I am a new mSecure 5 user but have been a customer since mSecure 3. Upon finally purchasing the new software (after years of solicitations), the transfer of data was made. All of the files listed as the type "Credit Card" were transferred over under unassigned. I am trying to change the type but it will not allow it. Are you saying I have to reenter all credit cards under a new entry? Please say that is not the case! 

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for contacting us. My guess as to why this happened is because the type of record you were using for your Credit Card records was the Unassigned type in mSecure 3/4. This is only a guess, because I don't have enough information to know for sure, but we don't have any known bugs that cause the import of Credit Card type records to fail in the manner you described. The bad news is, you are not able to change the type of an existing record in mSecure 5. That feature is returning in mSecure 6, but it's not available in mSecure 5. The good news is, if you still have access to your information in mSecure 3 or 4, I should be able to help you fix the issue without you having to recreate your Credit Card records.

Do you still have access to your information in mSecure 3/4? If so, please let me know on what types of devices you have that access.

To my knowledge, I have never used the unassigned type on any entry. 

Yes, I still have access to mSecure 3. Please let me know what is needed. 

The first thing to do is check in the old app to see what the name of the type is for the credit card records that were imported as Unassigned. Go ahead and open the old app, and double-click on each of the Credit Card records. In the dialog that pops up, you'll see a dropdown menu that should show you which type is currently selected for each record. Let me know which type is selected for each of the records. If the type is named "Credit Card," please click the dropdown and see if there is another type in the system called "Credit Card" or something similar.

Mike, the old app does not have any listed under unassigned. There is a type called "credit card" instead of "credit cards", with the plural version possibly being the default option. I may have, a long time ago, created the singular version before noticing the default option. 

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for checking the Credit Card type in the older mSecure app. The strange thing is, even if you had removed the default "Credit Cards" type and not just renamed it, the records you see in mSecure 5 now should be using the new "Credit Card" type you may have created, so there's something wrong here regardless of exactly what happened with that type in the old app.

I think the easiest thing to do here will be to simply create a backup of your data in the old mSecure app and then restore from that backup in mSecure 5. That should import the "Credit Card" type you have in the old app, and then it should be used by your credit card records as long as they are assigned to that type in the old mSecure app.

First, I think you have done this already by telling me no records are using the Unassigned type, but just make sure all your credit card records are using the "Credit Card" type you mentioned. Confirm that for me in your next response. Also, when I have you create a backup in the old app and then restore from that backup in v5, all your current data in v5 will be overwritten with the data in the backup file. You'll need to make sure that any new information you added to v5 after you upgraded is documented somehow. I'm hoping you haven't added much, as you just upgraded, but if you have, there is no way to merge data in from a backup file during the restore process. Does that make sense?

It makes sense. There is a possibility of overwriting other information that would make this worse. Who keeps up with their recent edits in redundancy? I will use the old and new, parallel, for the time being, then manually transfer over the credit card information. What a pain. I am glad they are adding back the feature to be able to change the type. There had to be a good techno reason to disable it, but obviously, that was not a crowd pleaser. 

Thanks. I will take it from here. 

That sounds good Jeremy, but do be careful on using the two versions in parallel. You probably already have this in mind, but it would be best to either limit the usage of mSecure 4 only to the Credit Card records. If you start adding new data to the old app beyond those records, it could get confusing when moving to mSecure 6.

At any rate, take care, and please let me know should you need further assistance.

Can't Save Edits to mSecure on ver. 6.0.6 (873) on iPhone. I can click the edit icon(pen), make a change but there is no button to save the changes I made.

I  enter the same changes over and over but MSecure won't save the edit changes and there is no button that is marked a way to save the edits made. Very frustrating.

Not happy at all with the new verison of mSecure. So many Password Saving apps available on the Apple App Store.

If mSecure can't quickly solve this problem then I will seek out a new app and stop paying for mSecure. 

Using iOS 15.5

@Douglas...there is no "button"...you simply tap on the checkmark in the right corner...I've attached an image to show..

Connexion ou Inscription pour poster un commentaire