In a recent reply on the Feature Requests section of the Forum it was announced that mSecure 6 would be available soon and that major enhancements we have been waiting for would not be implemented in mSecure 5.
Will mSecure 6 be considered a completely new product? Will existing customers be expected to pay for this new product in order to get any enhancements?
Will mSecure 5 remain available? Will it still be maintained with bug fixes and security issues?
Will the databases be compatible between these products?
Are there any other implications for existing loyal customers?
@Lee Thank you very much for your feedback on the V6 changes! We're hoping more of our long-standing customers will see that they don't have to pay a subscription fee in order to stay current. It was our hopes all along that everyone would see the value we place in our customers with this decision.
@Puneet I'm not sure why you're asking this question here in our forum. As others have mentioned in previous posts, which password manager you use will all come down to your personal preference. If you decide that KeePass is the right app for you, and mSecure doesn't fit your needs for any reason, we would rather you move to that app than be disappointed when using mSecure.
If you're asking for a rundown of feature comparisons, I'm not familiar with KeePass, so I can't help there. I would definitely suggest download that app and running it alongside mSecure to see which one fulfills your needs and meets your expectations.
One other thing to note, in case you already have an mSecure 5 license and like to use mSecure, you don't have to pay for a subscription when V6 is released. I hope that's been made clear already, but there is no reason to move from the app you already use if the only reason you're doing so is because you don't want to sign up for a subscription. The only way you would need to sign up is if you want or need any of the features in the Premium subscription tier, which are all features that are not available in mSecure 5.
Hello when will version 6 be released on the mac app store?
I'm hoping you all received the email we sent out yesterday with an update to the v6 release. It has now been submitted to the four app stores, but they were not approved before the end of the week. Here is a link to the email we sent out, and I'll also be posting much of the content to a sticky post here in the forum: https://mailchi.mp/msevensoftware/update-on-msecure-6-release
As soon as each of the app stores approve the builds we have submitted, we will be releasing v6 to the public.
@Steve Thank you very much for your patience and your feedback! We're so looking forward to getting this into our customers hands!
@Annie At this time, we don't know for sure how long the 50% discount will last, but it will be for at least the first year. This means you'll have at least a year to choose if you would like to take advantage of the discount, and after purchasing, there would be at least one full year at that discounted price, since you would be purchasing a full year of access. For the price in pounds, at this time your cost would be around 11.49 (our online seller determines the conversion rate at time of purchase) with the added VAT, of course.
@Mike, have you got any more details at present on the family pricing following on from my query last week? Namely pricing model, how many accounts and more importantly when it will be active? I'm asking as I'm seeing if I should wait it out until it comes out before I start subscribing and just carry on with the Essentials tier to tie me over.
@Ai At this time, I don't have any more details on the family pricing. I only know it will be one of the first features we work on for the first feature release after mSecure 6 goes public. As far as pricing goes, though I'm not certain yet, there will be an added discount for mSecure 5 paid users. The good news is, when mSecure 6 is installed, all accounts will be given a 30 day Premium trial. I don't think it's likely we'll have the family plan fully implemented by then, but we will have much more details on how it will work along with possible subscription conversion routes should you decide to upgrade to Premium on your main account before the family subscription is available.
Thanks Mike, appreciate the quick response regarding family pricing, will hopefully have a better idea in a few weeks time. Thanks.